• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to the forum/Population Question

17 posts in this topic

Hello, I have been collecting since the early nineties off and on and have a couple of questions about the significance of population reports as they relate to the value of a coin. I have been purchasing from an "old school" local dealer who doesn't think that modern commems or proof singles are worthy of slabbing, so I comb through what he calls a "Junk Slab box," occasionally. I did pick up this piece, and wondered if it is common for them to grade PR69 and if this affects the value of the coin significantly.

a href="http://www.flickr<.com/photos/40220688@N05/5457896324/" title="DSC03711 by sphil876, on Flickr">DSC03711

The POP for this at NGC is 1445 with none finer as just proof69

However you will have to consult with PCGS for their pop. for this coin .

Thats provided it's not an accented hair :)

Martin

Welcome to the forum :)

A bit about your coin

Population = 1970 of this year and grade their are 29 higher in pr PCGS.

It has a silver value of $10-11.

This might give you the true value. Listed as a Franklin but its really a Kennedy..

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964-Franklin-Half-PCGS-PR69-/140513797439?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item20b746653f

Welcome to the neighborhood!

I tried enlarging it to see if the lefthand side of the base of the "I" in LIBERTY is broken, but it was a little too blurry for me to tell. If this is an Accented Hair variety, it could be worth more. There are two A/H varieties, FS-103 & FS-401. The FS-401 has just the broken base of the "I". The FS-103 also has moderate doubling on IGWT, LIBERTY, the "1" of the date and the hair at the top of his head. While you have to take the pricing with a "grain of salt", in PF67, both coins are worth $50-$60.

Chris

The broken base is the key identifying marker for the Accented Hair variety, and is easily seen (if you're blind like me) under low magnification. If the person who submitted the coin to PCGS didn't opt and pay for variety attribution, it wouldn't be listed as such. This happens quite a lot.

Chris

109556.jpg.54e988f550cc94bc0a69d027030769d8.jpg

So, does the variety attribution follow this pattern for all series such as Morgan dollars? If so I need to go through my collection and double check for varieties.

The best place to get a complete listing of VAM's is VAMWorld.

http://www.vamworld.com/Morgan+VAMs+By+Date

If you are asking if there are unattributed VAM's in slabs because the submitter overlooked it or didn't want to pay for the additional service, the answer is "Yes!"

You also have to keep in mind that NGC and PCGS do not attribute every VAM. ANACS is the only grading service that attributes all 3000+ Morgan VAM's. I believe that NGC only attributes 1878 (8TF, 7 over 8TF & 7TF), Top 100, Hot 50 & Hit List 40. PCGS attributes these plus "Elite Clashes" (I think).

Chris

The policy of the "BIG 2" to only attribute varieties if the submitter catches it and pays extra seems counterintuitive. After all they are the experts, and we are submitting our coins to them for their opinion. I submitted 5 uncirculated Morgans to ICG while at the FUN show in Tampa, and received back an 1883-0/0 VAM top 100. I had no idea the coin was a variety, and it is not even listed in most price guides. I am new to the VAM concept so it was just a very golden toned MS64 or 65 in my unprofessional opinion. I apparently have allot of research to do and really appreciate the link...

;)

You have to also keep in mind that I do not believe PCGS was attributing the accented hair JFK back when this coin was certified, which would have been from late 1998 through early 2002.

The policy of the "BIG 2" to only attribute varieties if the submitter catches it and pays extra seems counterintuitive. After all they are the experts, and we are submitting our coins to them for their opinion. I submitted 5 uncirculated Morgans to ICG while at the FUN show in Tampa, and received back an 1883-0/0 VAM top 100. I had no idea the coin was a variety, and it is not even listed in most price guides. I am new to the VAM concept so it was just a very golden toned MS64 or 65 in my unprofessional opinion. I apparently have allot of research to do and really appreciate the link...

;)

If ICG wants to provide that service free of charge, that's their privilege, but NGC charges for this service, and it would be counterproductive to hogtie their attributors with checking for VAM's on every single submission unless the submitter had requested and paid for it.

If you were an attorney, would it be financially viable for you to stand on the street in front of your office and dispense free legal advice?

It's coincidental that you mentioned the 1883 O/O VAM-4, Top 100. I purchased one in an NGC slab late last year that was unattributed. I submitted it to NGC for the attribution ($10 fee) at FUN (were you at the NGC Luncheon?).

The VAMView Price Guide is issued once a year and it lists prices for only those VAM's where there has been sales activity reported from auctions, shows, B&M's, etc. It is only a guide, mind you, and sometimes the listings are dated because of lack of activity. This price guide is provided free to paid members of the SSDC. The only way to find pricing information other than that listed on VAMWorld is to search auction sites like Heritage, Teletrade, Scotsman, eBay, etc.

Here is my 1883 O/O. I'm using the seller's photos when it was unattributed because my photos $uck!

Chris

109573.jpg.cd626038e06c3ae340692d300d949858.jpg

109574.jpg.428683ba36ce42e6f8f77a30e108a48a.jpg

109575.jpg.e6d6efe1b4267187ac52c3d7dd21c595.jpg

109576.jpg.2eb3eb88e9e1e5edf57f48c220c6582f.jpg

I've kicked around the thought of sending my VAM-4 in for grade review. I feel that it has a good shot at 65, but I don't know if it would be worth it.

Chris