• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1937 Double Die Washington?

4 posts in this topic

You may have more folks give you opinions if you post it in either the Coin Tangents or US Coin boards as this forum, The Marketplace, doesn't seem to get the same traffic.

From the image, I really don't see doubling on the 1, although it looks as though there might be doubling from the vertex of the 7. On these 1937 doubled dies, there should be doubling on all four numbers of the date. For me this has always been most easily seen on the 1.

Do you have a scanner? If so, it has been my experience that simply placing a coin on the scanner and scanning it will yield results that are very nicely examined over the net.

Hi Tom thanks for your reply. I don't have a scanner and once again I was forced to use the copy/enlarge/take a pic./post method but I did take it to a dealer the other day and he seemed to believe it was the real thing , but he was holding it and viewing under light. Can you see any of the doubling of the motto and inside the loop of the 9, below the upper hook of the 3? The 1 has some dirt or something in it.Thanks and sorry about last time. Fred

Hey Fred, don't worry about last time, things happen.

I took the image you provided and inverted it and then increased the brightness and it allowed me to see the coin a little better. From this attempt, I still don't see anything convincing on the 193 portion of the date. If, however, the dealer you took it to believes that there is doubling then I would go with his opinion over mine since he would have been holding the coin to view it. There are perhaps six or so doubled die obverses for this date and only one of them that I know of commands a significant premium. I may be wrong on some of that as I do not specialize in Washington varieties.

Something to keep in mind is that the motto is slightly doubled on many Washington quarters, this is actually quite common and I don't know of anyone who pays a premium for that feature, if it is the only feature doubled. A coin like this would sell easiest if certified. NGC or PCGS are essentially equivalent in this area, but NGC has a faster turnaround time on submissions. Good luck.