• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is there ANY price reference for so-called dollars?

9 posts in this topic

Stupid question from someone who should probably know after nearly half a century collecting coins...

What is a "so-called dollar"? How does it differ from a commemerative medal?

Stupid question from someone who should probably know after nearly half a century collecting coins...

What is a "so-called dollar"? How does it differ from a commemerative medal?

A SO CALLED DOLLAR IS.........

A token or medal (not a coin) that commemorates a public or special event, a famous person, or a famous place. Some examples would include world's fairs, town or state anniversaries, statue dedications, and other events or historical figures in American history. They generally measure between 33 and 45 mm in diameter, and most collectors stick to pieces made prior to 1962 or so, due partially to the fact that this is when Harold Hibler and Charles Kappen's book on the subject was published. There are also two other types of so called dollars. One group is sometimes refered to as the "monetary" so called dollars. Most of these pieces center around the silver - gold controversy that was a divisive political issue during the late 1800s, and was the centerpiece of the presidential political campaign of 1896. These pieces have no size limitations, and include what are probably the most famous so called dollars, the Lesher dollars. The third group of pieces are the much smaller, and sometimes overlooked, gold dollar size pieces (often times not made of gold) that, like the larger so called dollars, were often associated with the world's fairs.

41-IAhfSH7L__BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Img19037.jpg

Img19038.jpg

Img19045.jpg

Img19046.jpg

Medal commemorates 100th anniversary as territory, not statehood, wisconsin having been admitted to the Union May 29, 1848. Legislature created Wisconsin Centennial Inc. 1933 with $500 appropriation, later increased. Celebration was state wide, highlight being presentation of pageant, "Centennial Cavalcade of Wisconsin," in the stadium of University of Wisconsin, Madison, June 27-July 5, 1936; "witnessed by at least 75,000 spectators."

This was official medal, sponsored and designed by Commission, 1500 pieces struck in Bronze, sold for $1.

Obv. Capital building, clouds behind; at base on small ribbon 1936; smaller ediface to L; at base, on small ribbon 1836; avove all, around Wisconsin Territorial Centennial; below all is prone animal (badger?) on dotted line.

Rev. Eagle in upper center panel; to L 19/ June / 27, to r. 36/ July/ 5' above at border Madison' below panel Official/Wisconsin/Centennial/Celebration; stars all around at border.

HK-696. Bronze Size 24. Very scarce.

If memory serves correct, I believe there is well over 1100 SCDs in the HK book. I've seen numerous times the statement that there is no price reference for SCDs, but was hoping against hope that someone knew otherwise.

If memory serves correct, I believe there is well over 1100 SCDs in the HK book. I've seen numerous times the statement that there is no price reference for SCDs, but was hoping against hope that someone knew otherwise.

James, when the 2nd Edition of the SCD book was published in 2008, it included a price guide in pamphlet form. It really doesn't give too much of a breakdown of prices by grade, but rather just "circulated" and "mint state".

I was really disappointed in the 2nd Edition because the authors chose to just fill in SCD's dated prior to 1961 that were omitted rather than adding new specimens from later years.

Chris

I don't collect so-called dollars per say; I buy some items that happen to be in the book for other reasons. Here are a couple of pieces I have for my political collectons. This a very rare anti-Bryan piece from the 1900 campaign. Most pieces that were this size were issued during the 1896 campaign.

Bryan1900S-10O.jpgBryan1900S-10R.jpg

This one is the same size as a Morgan dollar. This one is said to be common, but they don't exactly grown on trees. I've not seen that many of them offered.

CompareDol1900O-1.jpgCompareDol1900R-1.jpg