• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Almost-NCLT dollar coins

4 posts in this topic

By the end of this year we will have 20 different Prez Bucks and 3 Native American Bucks struck and issued. The Prez Bucks started out with mintages in the hundreds of millions, and now we are down to "only" tens of millions (although the Lincoln Buck almost got to 100 million).

The law says at least 20% of all dollar coins minted and issued during each year must be Native American Dollars.

That means there are going to be literally TONS of these coins sitting around until they can be issued. This makes me wonder:

1. How many will be sent into circulation?

2. How long will they stay in circulation?

3. How many people are going to collect one from each type (or type and mintmark)?

Last year I got a box of Hiawatha Belt Bucks, and I still have most of them left. Unless you want to have a bunch of them jingling in your pockets, they're not easy to spend quickly. Retailers seem to look at them as a nuisance, and I haven't yet received one in change (even the stamp machine in my local post office [which used to accept and give change in dollar coins] only takes debit and credit cards now).

How long will this last until the Treasury says "Enough!" or finally decides to withdraw the $1 bill?

By the end of this year we will have 20 different Prez Bucks and 3 Native American Bucks struck and issued. The Prez Bucks started out with mintages in the hundreds of millions, and now we are down to "only" tens of millions (although the Lincoln Buck almost got to 100 million).

The law says at least 20% of all dollar coins minted and issued during each year must be Native American Dollars.

That means there are going to be literally TONS of these coins sitting around until they can be issued. This makes me wonder:

1. How many will be sent into circulation?

2. How long will they stay in circulation?

3. How many people are going to collect one from each type (or type and mintmark)?

Last year I got a box of Hiawatha Belt Bucks, and I still have most of them left. Unless you want to have a bunch of them jingling in your pockets, they're not easy to spend quickly. Retailers seem to look at them as a nuisance, and I haven't yet received one in change (even the stamp machine in my local post office [which used to accept and give change in dollar coins] only takes debit and credit cards now).

How long will this last until the Treasury says "Enough!" or finally decides to withdraw the $1 bill?

Well lets see, the Morgan was minted from 1878 - 1904, then a small number struck in 1921, and there were reportedly 100's of millions of $s worth of Morgans stockpiled at the Philadelphia mint's storage vaults and the Reverse's vaults as well until the early 60s when the Mint started offering $1000 bag increments for sale at face value to the public for a short time before ending the hoarded release and supposedly melting what remained.

This could be a repeat of all that.

I collected all 50 state quarters (almost exclusively Denver coins because I live on the Left Coast) because I could collect them from change. I used them to teach my daughter about the different states, and she plugged them into our state quarter board map.

As I have yet to receive a Prez Buck or Native American Buck in change, I don't think I'll collect them. I think I got a Washington dollar back in 2007, but I can't remember where I got it from (maybe a vendor at the Long Beach Coin Show?). If they don't circulate, most people won't collect them. If people don't collect them there will be very little demand for them. If there isn't any demand for them banks won't want to carry them. It's a vicious circle. I imagine the Treasury would need to get dozens to circulate of any one design before someone would pull one from circulation.

Went to BofA today and asked the tellers if they had any loose dollar coins and was able to fill almost every Denver mint slot in my circulation prez album with AU-BU coins. Even picked up a P Jefferson.

Also picked up a OBW roll of the 2010 Sacs and the Lincoln.

(Side note - if anyone from the east coast wants to trade D for P singles or rolls let me know...)

Interestingly a lot of the prez dollar coins in the tills were in fact circulated. And like the Sacs they dont weather circulation well though. Some looked horrible after a scant 3 yrs of limited use.

And not a single ATB quarter though. Guess I am stuck paying .90 for a new quarter at shows now....

I was also able to snag two $2 bills as well.