• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okay... Now I feel a bit better.... Stars !

11 posts in this topic

So as you guys may remember I had 3 prior invoices of modern coins all come back AT from NGC... well here's the latest one... Other than the Peace $ these are all toned....Hey at least I got 2 stars ! I cant believe I missed the wheel mark though.

The 23 Peace $ really isnt even toned which makes me scratch my head. And what exactly does "Altered Color" mean ? Isnt that the same as "AT?"

Edited: Actually I feel alot better - the 44-P NGC67* is one out of only 14 that have received a star and none have graded MS68....

001 1923 S$1 ARTIFICIAL TONING

002 1949 D 5C MS 65

003 1940 D 5C MS 66

004 1954 S 5C MS 64

005 1951 D 5C MS 66

006 1944 S 5C MS 66*

007 1948 5C MS 64

008 1944 P 5C MS 67*

009 1950 5C MS 64

010 1938 D 1C MS 65 BN

011 1938 1C ALTERED COLOR

012 1936 D 1C MS 65 RB

013 1943 S 1C MS 66

014 1952 D 1C MS 65 BN

015 1955 S 1C OBVERSE WHEEL MARK

This is much better than getting konked in the head and seeing stars!

Altered Color? Could this mean that someone tried to restore it to RD? Maybe someone else will know.

Chris

Ok I know you registered for the forums like a century ago and did not regularly post but you are going to need to learn pretty quick that if you talk toners and stars and don't post images......we are going to send viruses to your computer :devil:

@DJ - Thanks. I wasnt sure.

@Jersey - I will once it comes home. But it really isnt toned. It was a MS62/63 that I traded a dealer for that came from his raw binder book at a show. It was a lesser VAM that had a die gouge in the tiara. It has very slight translucent toning under a natural skin. Not a coin that I would considered toned by any means. I dont even know if I can pick up the toning in a pic but I will try.

@Kryptonite - Yes I am ancient. Its getting harder to see the dates on some coins without a loop. Its kinda depressing.....lol

I have to ask...were any of these worth the cost of grading, S&I?

I usually draw the line around a $100 value. And I'm sure that '44 67* Jefferson is gorgeous. But really, was this a wise expenditure?

Lance.

I have to ask...were any of these worth the cost of grading, S&I?

I usually draw the line around a $100 value. And I'm sure that '44 67* Jefferson is gorgeous. But really, was this a wise expenditure?

Lance.

Unfortunately without the plastic many are hesitant to buy toners. With the blessing of NGC, PCGS or ANACS the premium dramatically increases for toning. So I would have to say so.