• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monroe Doctrine half (or commemoratives found in change)

6 posts in this topic

Numismaster has a new article on the 1923 Monroe Doctrine half dollar.

The writer points out how sales of the half dollar were so poor that some banks released the coins into circulation. My dad was born in Los Angeles in the 1930s and picked one up in change (probably in the late 1940s or early 1950s). When I was a kid he poured out all the odd coins he'd picked up in change over the years (green two cent pieces, a bent half dime, numerous odds and ends, and a 1923-S half dollar). I'd never seen a coin like the half dollar before, and it piqued my interest. Years later I wish I knew what had become of it.

It fascinates me that there was a time when commemorative coins actually circulated because they were so unpopular as collectibles or the holders' finances were in such dire straits they spent them. I imagine the circulation of such coins must have been fairly limited before someone saved them, but 50 cents was a lot of money back in the Depression.

Has anyone else inherited commems or personally pulled any from circulation?

I inherited a couple of 1893 Columbian half dollars from my aunt when she passed away. She had been a practical nurse who stayed with old ladies in their finial years, and had gotten these pieces from one of them.

The Columbian half dollars were released into circulation after the closing of the 1893 (it had been slatted for 1892 but was delayed) Columbian Exposition closed to pay off some of the bills from the event. They did circulate for a time although I’ve never seen one much lower than VF condition.

The Monroe commemorative was issued in 1923 in conjunction with a celebration, the “First Annual American Historical Revue and Motion Picture Industry Exposition.” Proceeds from the sale of the coins at $1.00 each was intended to finance that event, but many of the coins were placed into circulation at face value to gain some goodwill and publicity from the public. In those days the mint provided the coins to the group that distributed them at face value so all film industry gave up was the revenue from the sale of the coins, which may have reached its peak by the time the coins were released.

my uncle gave me some columbian halfs before he had passed on. i still have them today and am grateful. i wish my aunt let me go thru what he had after he had passed for he had some great stuff in there. she sold it for next to nothing :(. ( she hated the hobby and couldnt wait to get rid of it )