• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

does anyone else do this when they send coins in for grading?

7 posts in this topic

Whenever i send coins in for grading i will take pre pics of each coin and will edit in what i think they will grade and a designation such as FBL, star, FS ect if applicable. Once the coins return i will go back and put in the last 3 numbers from the cert number and see how i did. My latest submission consisted of 40 coins. Out of the 40 coins i got 4 coins wrong grade wise. Designation wise i got 2 coins wrong. Still not bad if you ask me :). Below is a pic of a coin i got half right. I got the grade right but i thought the coin would go FBL. NGC didnt think it was FBL so no soup for me :(.

DSCN2698-horz.jpg

Yes I always look into my cystal ball and make my predictions before grading. I'm usually about 90-95% right with the grades.

I don't edit the grade into the images though.

I usually write down on my customer copy what sort of grades that I think they are . .

But I could see where it can be a good idea to have a good quality image of a piece just in case in came back and either had marks or was in some way altered through bad handling

Martin

I usually write down on my customer copy what sort of grades that I think they are . .

But I could see where it can be a good idea to have a good quality image of a piece just in case in came back and either had marks or was in some way altered through bad handling

Martin

The main reason i do it via pics is cause when you send multiple coins from the same date and mint mark how do you know which one got the grade you thought? So what i do is take the pics edit in the grade and when they come back just match the coin to the pics and see if i was right.

I usally use the dog snifer method.. I have a Lab, a Sheperd and a Monte Bull dog, I take a rubber glove and rub a little piece of dog Z*( on it and when my coins come back I have my dogs smell it to see if the TPG doctors did a switcheroo on me.. Proven way of maintaining ownership of ones coins.