• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worth Sibmitting? posted by SPeck95512

9 posts in this topic

I think that's a decent cameo. Obverse looks nicer than the reverse. The spot above the torch concerns me. It's a bit hazy, but the SMS series is very much plagued by this. I think you have a nice coin, but it would be very difficult to grade with pictures of this size. I think you'd have to get a 67 Cameo or higher for it to be worth your while.

Due to the hazy fields and spot above the torch, I don't think it is worry of getting graded. Like coindude already said it needs to be above MS67 for it to pay for the

grading fee's.

I wish I could upload some hi-res pictures. It really is a beautiful coin. The obverse is a solid 68, possibly in the realm of 69 with a definite cameo and possible deep cameo. The reverse is what will hold this coin back. It's a good 67 with a small possibility of getting 68 and a probable cameo.

I've been comparing it to my PCGS 1966 SMS SP66DCAM and the reverse is the only thing holding this coin back.

If anyone would like some bigger pics, email me SPeck95512@aol.com or message me here. I have a message board account now so I should receive updates.

Above the torch, as Coindude said, it's just a hazy spot that plagues most of the SMS dimes. I've got 2 DCAM SMS coins and they both have this haze so I'm not too concerned with it. It's a strike defect in the series. As to the left of the torch, I don't know if it's something on the coin or a gouge, it's difficult to tell even with a loupe.

They are called milk spots and they downgrade many proof coins, especially those struck since 1964. They are spots that were never properly rinsed off of the planchets from washing the planchets in dilute acid and detergent prior to striking. In most cases they were struck over by the dies and are now a permanent surface feature that can not often even be removed by professional coin conservation. All collectors of modern proofs have these spots on many coins and they affect the grade.

Welcome to the boards.

How can milk spots be in exactly the same place on most all well-struck SMS issues if they're the result of a dirty planchet? Then wouldn't the spots be in various places around every coin and not always in the same spot? I think that this is some form of defect with the SMS striking process or die preparation.