• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 s Buffalo Nickel - Will NGC Grade?

2 posts in this topic

NCS,

I recently sent a 1913 S Type 1 buffalo nickel to you to be conserved. The coin in question had a black object in the date area and a small black mark on the reverse. I hope these things can be removed or lessened through conservation. As of right now the coin is still awaiting evaluation.

My question is one about grading after conservation. I requested that the coin be returned to me in its raw state so that I might send it along with some other coins to be graded all together by NGC. Will my coin be "details graded" because it was not sent directly to NGC after conservation? I hope this is not the case. If it is, is there a way to detour the coin to NGC before it is returned?

Thanks,

A.P. Bouchard

NGC will numerically grade a coin if it is free of detrimental surface conditions. Conservation work attempts to lessen the detrimental surface condition without creating further problems. Having a coin graded immediately following conservation versus submitted some time later will not determine whether it will grade numerically or with details.

Quite often if a coin is submitted for conservation with an irreversible surface detriment such as an improper cleaning, conservation work will not be performed. There are, however, frequent exceptions particularly when an additional reversible surface detriment is present. There are also times when a detriment that could cause further damage such as corrosion or PVC residue. Conservation work can reduce the severity of the damage and prevent the damage from becoming worse in the future. The coin still may not be able to grade numerically and instead grade with details with NGC.

Chris, NCS