• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CCAC Subcommittee Blueprint Available Online

6 posts in this topic

If anyone is interested in the Citizens Coinage Advisory Subcommittee on Design Excellence report, A Blueprint for Advancing Artistic Creativity and Excellence in United States Coins and Medals can find a copy here.

If nothing else, this could be the legacy of former U.S. Mint Director Edmund Moy.

Scott

Being retired Military I know the Government works slowly. There are some nice things that I see so far as I read thru the information. Patience has to be a virtue. ;)

On July 27, 2010, the CCAC approved a new scoring system for evaluation of designs which requires a minimum 50 percent score before any design may be considered for a recommendation. Since implementing the new scoring system, the CCAC has reviewed 128 designs. Only 18 of those designs earned scores from the Committee that were high enough to exceed the 50 percent threshold and, thus, be considered worthy to be recommended for placement on United States coins and medals. These results, coupled with the observations of Director Moy, the CFA, and the CCAC, are alarming and serve as a clear indication that swift action is needed to reform the artistic structure and processes within the United States Mint.

I'm wondering if the Medal of Honor Commemoratives were scored under this system and if so, how well did they score?

I think that this is a small first step that is necessary to improve the low artistic threshold of US coin design standards. I hope that this is not pushed aside by the powers that be in Congress purely to continue feeding the maw of special interest cash flow to those who benefit from these all too frequent issued and always artistically challenged commemorative programs which are presently in place.

I like this. Defining standards.

On June 28, 2010, CCAC Chairman Gary Marks formed the Subcommittee on Coin DesignExcellence (Subcommittee). Membership on the Subcommittee comprised CCAC Chair GaryMarks, and CCAC members Heidi Wastweet, Rodger W. Burdette, Donald Scarinci, and MitchSanders. The purpose of the Subcommittee was “to develop a comprehensive set of recommendations addressing design quality to the Secretary of the Treasury regardingall futuretheme and design proposalsrelating to circulating coinage, bullion coinage, commemorativecoinage, congressional gold medals and national and other medals produced by the Secretary of the Treasury in accordance with section 5111 of title 31, United States Code.”

In addition to creating the Subcommittee, Chairman Marks appointed Heidi Wastweet, themember of the CCAC appointed by virtue of her experience in the medallic arts or sculpture, towork with other Committee members to develop a visual definition of design excellence.Chairman Marks commented that once the Committee adopted the visual definition that it wouldbe used “to provide a visual example for Subcommittee members and others in the work to ignitethe (design) renaissance. Simply stating verbally a desire or even a plan for a design renaissanceis not enough. The Subcommittee will be armed with a visual definition and will, therefore, beready to show anyone interested to know just what the CCAC means when it collectively callsfor a design renaissance.”Heidi Wastweet presented the visual definition of design excellence to at the CCAC meeting of June 28, 2010, and it is incorporated and made a part of this report as Appendix F.

APPENDIX F

CCAC_Excellence.jpg

CCAC_Introduction.jpg

Historic_US_Coins_Medals.jpg

CCAC_Contemporary_Coins_Medals.jpg

Char_Of_Design_Excellence.jpg