• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

searchin for rare date morgans posted by Billy Blaze

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I have no clue dhow to finish this set

My NGC MS64 morgans I believe I have all the common dates now lookin for the rarer dates. I do not believe I have the skill to do either Telatrade or Heritige Their is a coin dealer by me that I buy some coins from only if the price is right.

I was thinking the the super rare ones to buy some raw and sudmit them to NGC for grading. I want to concentrate on this set this year along with my NGC pf70/ms70 first spouse setwhich I think I will need help with also

lol

Billy Blaze

See more journals by Billy Blaze

Congratulations Billy! You have almost half of the Morgan Dollar series in MS-64! This in itself is quite an accomplishment. You are right that the rest of the way will be much tougher, especially coins from the early to mid 1890's. Since getting most of these coins in MS-64 is unlikely, you have to determine what grade level you will accept. When I completed my "Born on the Bayou" New Orleans set, I settled on a minimum of VG-10. Curiously enough I only had to buy two coins out of 26 that graded less than AU and stay within a budget of $200/coin. If I were you I would avoid buying rare coins raw because of the possibility of picking up a counterfeit. For those really rare coins you will not save much by buying raw and having them certified. By buying certified you also avoid the possibility of your submission returning as a problem coin, like improperly cleaned. Get ready to open your wallet when it comes time to buy that 1893-S, even G-6 examples run over $2000. Good luck the rest of the way.

Gary

Hey Billy, nice set. As far as Teletrade goes I've found it helpfull and easy. They seem to have great pictures of the coins that really hold up well to the actual coin. The same can be said of Heritage. I'd recomend using both as what you need yet are going to be hard to find at your local coin shop. Got luck with the set. Best2u