• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Numismatic Box of 20

55 posts in this topic

Dear Santa

Here is my Christmas list for 2011.

$20.00 Technicolor Gold Note / Morganback Silver Certificate / $10.00 Bison

Ok. Would you just leave me a box like the one Boiler has?

Your friend

Chet

Thanks Boiler! (worship)

Another snow day here in northern Indiana with a Blizzard on the way. Thought I'd kill some time rounding up images and sharing them here on the forums. I think I've posted all of these at some point in the past but never together as a box of 20. Since Numismatics is much more than just coins I included some currency in the box.

Since it is my box I get to define what is in it so the sets I've included only take up one spot. :)

So where's your 1933 St. Gaudens Double Eagle and 1964-D Peace Dollar? ;)lol

Are these refereed to as the educational notes or something like that? I saw something about them on Pawn Stars not too long ago, if I recall.

nb20-educational-ace.jpg

nb20-educational-deuce.jpg

nb20-ed-five.jpg

JazzMan

Yes they are.

everything that was posted was awesome, and sorry to green but what does

"educational notes" mean?

hm

Simplified version ?

The government was trying to educate rural Americans in regards to art/artwork. So they started this series of notes to allow those in rural areas that didn't have access to museums ect to see artwork. Hence the "Educational Series".

JazzMan

Yes they are.

hm

Simplified version ?

The government was trying to educate rural Americans in regards to art/artwork. So they started this series of notes to allow those in rural areas that didn't have access to museums ect to see artwork. Hence the "Educational Series".

I believe a more accurate version would be what the allegorical motifs stand for on each note, not that the government was attempting to share art with rural America.

JazzMan

Yes they are.

hm

Simplified version ?

I believe a more accurate version would be what the allegorical motifs stand for on each note, not that the government was attempting to share art with rural America.

Your google search which lead to wikedia's explanation is only half correct.

There was a very good article in Coin World from the May 21, 2007 issue on these notes. But,as to not sidetrack this great thread, I'll leave it at that.

I didn't use Google or Wikipedia. If I recall correctly, the $1 has been called something like "History teaching youth" and has names of some historically important Americans in the wreathes, the $2 along the lines of "somebody presenting somebody to somebody else" and the $5 something like "Electricity blah, blah, blah". Notes of this era were typically of a much higher standard of art than today and contained many allegorical motifs.

JazzMan

Yes they are.

hm

Simplified version ?

Your google search which lead to wikedia's explanation is only half correct.

There was a very good article in Coin World from the May 21, 2007 issue on these notes. But,as to not sidetrack this great thread, I'll leave it at that.

lol

Newbs.

"Led" is the past tense of "lead."

(thumbs u

[quote=RockMyAmadeus

lol

Newbs.

(thumbs u

ROFL @ you, and your grammar correction. Mega ROFL @ you calling me a newb just because I just recently signed up to this board. J**k offs like you are why this board is dead. Hope that helps.....

[quote=RockMyAmadeus

lol

Newbs.

(thumbs u

ROFL @ you, and your grammar correction. Mega ROFL @ you calling me a newb just because I just recently signed up to this board. J**k offs like you are why this board is dead. Hope that helps.....

Wow SFG! I guess you took that the wrong way! Lighten up a little :makepoint:

Board is dead? ???

lol

Newbs.

(thumbs u

Learn how to quote, newb.

(thumbs u