• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Die polish lines?

8 posts in this topic

Thought this was an interesting coin. PCGS gave it a 64. The lines go over the devices and all lines are raised. How were dies polished in 1971?

Could this be something other than die polish? On the blank? Just stuff that makes me wonder.

I gave up on catching an image of this coin and Todd had to help me.

31-1.jpg

32-1.jpg

From what I know....if the lines are raised, it should be die polish lines. If on the other hand, they were sunken, then they might be considered as having been cleaned.

I..by no means am considered an expert....But I did sleep at an Holiday Express last night! :insane:

I would expect this affect to have come from the planchet. Pretty neat though.

Also the unusual toning (color and pattern) may support your thought.

There are called striated planchets, they are caused by worn rollers rolling out the strip the blanks are punched from. The rollers should be smooth but over time they develop their own version of flow lines that go around the roller. As the roller wears the flowlines get worse and leave lines/grooves running the length of the strip.