• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1911 $2.50 Quarter Eagle - Indian head

3 posts in this topic

This uncertified 1911 $2.50 Quarter Eagle - Indian head coin has a curious build up of something 'green' in color in the grooves defining the area between the leg and wing of the eagle on the reverse.

Several detail images taken through a 30x microscope have been attached for your review. Lamp light was adjusted at different angles in each image to help illuminate the area in question.

Fields of the coin do have some hairlines visible under light magnification, so a past cleaning is a very real possibility here, but I see no evidence that this was ever used in jewelry. The coin was purchased raw a couple of years ago from a well known bullion dealer that employs in-house graders.

I have considered having the coin certified and I would appreciate your comments as to whether I should seek conservation first and if identified as having had a past cleaning does it eliminate this piece from achieving a numeric grade? I am curious if you can respond in regards to whether the expense of conservation warrants your services in this case as the value of the coin and the potential prescience of past cleaning may not warrant the expense if we are to consider this 'bullion' at this point. Equally, I am concerned for the proper long term care of the piece.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

1911_INDIAN_G250_AU_sm.jpg

1911_INDIAN_G250_Rev_detail_02.jpg

1911_INDIAN_G250_Rev_detail_03.jpg

1911_INDIAN_G250_Rev_detail_04.jpg

1911_INDIAN_G250_Rev_detail_05.jpg

1911_INDIAN_G250_Rev_detail_01.jpg

Green areas like the one that appear on your coin are seen from time to time. They are frequently the result of a residue such as PVC or even sometimes the corrosion of a copper spot. If you are considering to have this piece certifed by NGC, I would recommend the removal of the green through NCS. While I would not be able to confirm with certainty, it is likely we would be able to help this coin grade at its best with NGC.

Chris, NCS