• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who needed pictures of a Henning Nickel?

11 posts in this topic

Just ran across mine when cleaning some stuff up. It's currently in a 2x2, so if you need better pictures of one in this grade, let me know and I'll take it out of the cardboard 2x2.

_MG_3950.jpg

_MG_3951.jpg

thanks great looking fakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would not even give these coins a second look if i was searching and found one!

they are really convincing

are there any obvious markers which are easy to tell on henning nicks??????

thanks!

thanks great looking fakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would not even give these coins a second look if i was searching and found one!

they are really convincing

are there any obvious markers which are easy to tell on henning nicks??????

thanks!

Michael,

The diagnostic for the Henning Nickel is as follows (courtesy of PCGS THE OFFICIAL GUIDE TO COIN GRADING AND COUNTERFEIT DETECTION).

On 1944 fakes, a sizable hole appears in the center of the vertical upright of the R in PLURIBUS. Being cost conscious, the counterfeiter used this same defective reverse die in making fake nickels of other date

Also neither of those two Hennings come from the reverse die with the defective R. Henning used at least two different reverse dies to strike his 1944's, one with the defective R and one without it. I believe the defective die was the more common one.

After looking at other Henning Nickels, the one I posted does not have the defective R. Condor was absolutely right, why would I ever question his expertise!! Here's a picture of a nickel, not mine, with the defective R.

henningnickel.jpg