• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Lincoln Cents and Sense posted by J Lloyd Young

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The recent NGC point adjustments seem not to make any SENSE to me and other rantings and ravings of a confirmed Coin Nut .

Not that I am overly concerned on the subject , but reading recent posts with great interest concerning the recent NGC point adjustments to RED designations on LINCOLN CENTS , seem to make no SENSE to me where I have only two coins entered in the Lincoln Registry....both are RED . The 1970-S LD MS-64 RED cent went from a 3 pointer to 45 points due to the adjustment . My 1995 DDO MS-68 RED ( not a large POP at all in grades this high and red ) was left unchanged at 209 points .

I would LOVE to hear why this is so . But I am not worried or upset by it it's just a curiosity .

I appreciate what CBC had to say on the subject as well .....clearly his examples seem to suggest that the adjustments for RED designations are if nothing else now quite

overblown . IE : They tried but they didn't quite get it right .

I'm easy . I don't want any point adjustments from NGC .( PLEASE STOP READING NOW TO AVOID MY RANTING ) The only thing I'd like NGC to do for me would be to explain this : Why they list the Washington Quarter 1952 Superbird Variety in their own online Registry with extra points awarded for same but do not recognise the same variety when they SEE IT in the grading room but instead attach a note to the coin telling me it's not a recognized variety . I sent them a letter asking this question and got no response .

Perhaps not quite on topic with the RED CENT discussion but maybe similar in that point adjustment requests are inquiries in to why certain points are awarded in a certain manner . My inquiry to NGC ( I admit I was REALLY REALLY mad about this and still am ) simply asked why NGC recognizes the variety in the point listings but not in hand for grading . The way it's now set up ...a collector with a SB variety MUST send the coin to PCGS for grading and THEN enter it into the NGC website for the points once they have it back . Then they get the extra points .

Send an SB variety quarter to NGC and they happily keep the $10 fee and send you a complimentary note . If that isn't insanity I don't know what is .

The truest measure of whether a company cares about their customers ( and in this case customers/website users ) is if they actively will try to correct legitimate issues when and where they come up from time to time .

I see some effort recently in regards to the RED CENT adjustements but sadly my issue did not even garner a response .

And yes I'd love to hear from anyone who can make any sense of any of this :)

8273.jpg

See more journals by J Lloyd Young