• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Basic Goal Is Still Unchanged

3 posts in this topic

Recent changes in the points for Cents and adding an MS67 coin haven't changed my basic goal. I'm just adding the words "or better" to the goal statement.

Still this post is mostly so I can get my overall goal and sub-goals down in print. Mostly, so I don't loose site of what I'm trying to accomplish.

Back when I decided that I'd start a certified collection, I did a lot of research into prices, populations (census), etc. That etc. included a budget line item.

I determined that a nearly complete MS66 collection for the 1946-1964 period could be put together by someone with my budget. A few exceptions existed of course (for example the 1953-S Franklin Half FBL, after all I'm not going to take out a mortgage on my house). I've made a good start and am just over 25% complete.

My objective wasn't to create the highest point set or reach number one in total points. They still aren't important. My objective was to create a collection in mid-range gem coins that I could enjoy and maybe my heirs could also enjoy.

Still that is a subset of my overall goal which is to build a collection that covers my lifetime. Now that the first subset is well along the time has come to establish the next subset and goal.

I've divided the 65 year period (1946-2010)into four general eras. The Silver Era (1946-1964), the Copper Era (1965-1981), the Zinc Era (1982-1998) and the Quarters Era (1999-present) for control purposes. Each Era is subdivided into MS and PF. Fine, so far, but what's next?

I have almost every coin for the last three eras in both MS and PF that are not graded. I also have most of the proof sets for the Silver Era also ungraded. Obviously, it's time to start grading some of these coins. But what sub-goal should I set next?

I have because of some fortunate purchases but together about half of the Quarters Era silver coins in PF69UC. I've also been grading the mint set and raw coins I've accumulated over the years.

Fine, given those facts, it's time to set more than one goal for the year. First, submit those MS coins from the Silver Era that I feel may complete that subset. Second, grade and submit the clad and silver proof set coins that will complete the proof coin subset for the Quarters Era.

It's time to slow down the purchases and start spending most of the budget on TPG fees. Ladies and Gentlemen, my goals for the year.

Happy collecting everyone,

Phil

P.S. Per Kerry's post, here is a head shot of me for the family album.

8272.JPG

See more journals by Phil Nunemacher

I determined that a nearly complete MS66 collection for the 1946-1964 period could be put together by someone with my budget. A few exceptions existed of course (for example the 1953-S Franklin Half after all I'm not going to take out a mortgage on my house :) ).

A MS66 set in the 1964-1964 period is completely feasible even on a small budget. Also, as an aside, a MS66 1953-S non FBL can easily be had for $200 to $250; it's the 1953-S FBL that would require you to mortgage your house. You could settle for the non FBL example.