• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow! What Happened?

11 posts in this topic

That's quite a change in Lincoln points.

This morning I logged in to my usual 15,000+ point total and didn't think anything about it. This afternoon, my point total jumped to almost double.

Someone must have asked for a re-evaluation of the Red Lincoln Cents because the points really jumped. My 1948-S MS66RD went from 16 to 1069 and the 1947-S went from 9 to 1013 in a matter of a few hours.

Whoever asked for the review a big thanks.

See more journals by Phil Nunemacher

I just entered two Presidential Dollars and when I checked where it put me points wise, I went from about 17,000 (Where I figured I would be) to 31,000! I would love to see what the explanation on the Lincoln point adjustment is. Not that I'm complaining. lol

I may pick up on my Lincoln collection again. :o)

Aren't points just that? if all of the sets recieved an up grade then I can't see where it much matters if one coin is worth 20 points or the same coin is worth 500 points they all are the same. Unless the percentage was increased say like A 65 was worth 40 and now 80 which would be double. And a 67 was 500 and now 1500 which would be a greater increase. I can see that I suppose.

This points thing is getting crazy! I now own a 1958-D MS-65 RD Cent with 776 points and a FMV of $13 (1.7 cents/point) in my 1958 mint set. Curiously enough, the same coin in my 20th Century type set has only 9 points. Now I am not complaining about my coin being worth more points, as previously 3 points for this coin is also a little ridiculous, but a 773 point increase? Come on! Interestingly, my overall points increased as my standings decreased about 35 places. This all seems a little upside down to me. I have never really understood how points are weighted and I probably never will. At any rate, regardless of what NGC does my collecting goals and budget will remain the same, so not much is changing for me. NGC will do their thing and I'll do mine.

Gary

It makes no sense to me either..however I gave up on trying to figure out the points a while ago. I do know one thing, they try and balance the points WITHIN each series for rarity, desirability and price--they do an excellent job at this...

The points within the Walker short set are well balanced when you compare coin vs coin in the 20 coin set. Each coin gets close to the same ratio of points per FMV ( with some bumps for harder to find, low pop or high desirability dates). The problem, and frustration, arises when registry members worry too much about the "Total Registry Points".

Someone, who may find the Walkers a well-balanced set in points, quickly gets indignant to find that a 1944 MS67RD Lincoln that cost $50 is getting more points than his 1944 MS66 Walker half that cost $300...

I think all registry collectors should just ignore the "overall points" if you are interested in the competetive aspect and just focus on "in-set" rankings and points...

PS: there is one BIG exception to this though. The year sets become dominated by the high grade collectors of certain series though. Check out how many of the Mint Year Sets from the 1940's through early 1960's are dominated by Roosevelt dime collectors because the point to dollar ratio of that series is ridiculous. (Maybe second only to the moderns like the Prezzie points)

I have to agree with all of you. While my total points did a sky-rocket my individual standing within sets changed very little if at all. I don't keep close track so it's had to say if any were up or down.

What I do know is that last night I took some of the new point for cents and tried to use my formula on some eBay auctions. Total fiasco. One coin that I hadn't upgraded because it's hard to divide by zero :) worked, somewhat. It returned a value of zero (really .00389...) so I'm going to have to revisit the calculations and do some debugging.

It also means that I'm going to have a bit of work ahead of me revising basic data tables. :(

What NGC giveth, NGC can take away! Those 773 points are gone, vamoose, outta here, stricken, and only after one day! Now life can go on as before. Still nothing has changed, the sun will come up tomorrow!

Gary

What ever happened to collecting coins....not points!!

For example I have a 1967 Roosevelt NGC MS68 Ultra Cameo but I could get

more points if I bought a MS69 Cameo. It will cost $350 for the MS69 Cameo

coin but it will cost you almost 3x that for the MS68UC. The MS69 Cameo is much easier/cheaper to get but I collect coins not points!!

The powers that be giveth and the powers that be taketh away. The point change for Lincolns is gone. No biggie and at least I don't have some work changing my basic data tables :)

It's just a good thing that I (and I hope all of you) didn't go out and make any purchases based on these phantom points.

Enjoy the weekend,

Phil

The only place I have been looking at the points was my Lincoln cents. I never really understood the system as to why a coin valued higher, was lower in points..... So I never really concentrated on it so as much as just getting the best coins that I can afford, figuring that they will only go up in value. I hope at least, anyway. Which is why I have so many MS-67's. I am not sure that I can keep it up however in some of the years, but I can at least try.

The rest of my collection is just scattered coins that I have had graded or bought.

I do need to concentrate on a set however I suppose! lol!