• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do HazMat (hazardous materials) rules apply to the shipment of coin dip?

9 posts in this topic

The little old gal at the Post Office always asks me if there is anything liquid, fragile or dangerous (or something like that) in the packages I mail off. So I was wondering whether coin dip qualifies as "dangerous" (and obviously, it is liquid). I have never bought, borrowed, or used even a single drop of coin dip, and don't even know what kind of container it comes in, so I've sure never had any shipped to me.

When ordered through the mail, is there special handling required, such as ground shipment only? If a coin doctoring factory needs to dip a huge number of silver dollars in a big hurry, can they air-mail the stuff in overnight?

Anything produced for consumer use in consumer packaging can be shipped without special handling per federal law. I believe some of the postal regulations are stricter however. A great many things can't be shipped at all any longer.

Fifty years ago you could ship cesium 137 in a package with a 4c stamp but now the postage would be several dollars if they allowed it at all and they don't.

People sure have gotten sensitive to everything.

The little old gal at the Post Office always asks me if there is anything liquid, fragile or dangerous (or something like that) in the packages I mail off. So I was wondering whether coin dip qualifies as "dangerous" (and obviously, it is liquid). I have never bought, borrowed, or used even a single drop of coin dip, and don't even know what kind of container it comes in, so I've sure never had any shipped to me.

When ordered through the mail, is there special handling required, such as ground shipment only? If a coin doctoring factory needs to dip a huge number of silver dollars in a big hurry, can they air-mail the stuff in overnight?

The declaration of HAZMATs is by quantity, or amount in the packaging. Since it is a liquid, and obviously contains chemicals of one type or another, it should be disclosed to the post office, especially these days.

Packages are sniffed by K-9 dogs at USPS reception centers.

If it were me, and I was sending anything through the mail, FEDEX, or UPS, that contained liquid, I would inform them of it. Just to be on the safe side.

The reason I brought the issue up is that I just received in the mail today a bottled chemical (not coin-dip :) ), and was surprised that it was merely wrapped up in a sheet of foam and plugged into a box. The bottle DOES contain a chemical that is regulated, so I'm assuming that it was not disclosed upon shipment. (I'm being intentionally vague here so as not to incriminate an unknowing party.) Then, it occurred to me that coin dip is acidic, perhaps highly so? and acetone is extremely flammable. Yet I suspect these items get shipped on a fairly frequent basis, considering the number of advertisements I've seen for them.

James, if you have any doubt, you can get the MSDS for the compound on the internet by Goggling, and it probably will tell you any thing that you need to know about the compound and its dangers. The MSDS is only one sheet normally for most compounds.

Supply dealers sell this stuff and ship them using the USPS and UPS. I know that in this day and age that the packages are randomly screened. I have never heard of anyone getting into trouble for shipping these items.

Selling the results from using them is another matter that PCGS is trying to rectify, but that's another story!! :devil:

Scott