• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New PCI?

18 posts in this topic

I saw this coin on eBay, and there appears to be a new company certifying coins under the PCI company name. Does anyone know anything about this? Here is a link:

LINK REMOVED -PHOTOS ADDED

P.S. I would never purchase this piece or a coin in that holder - does it sound like a potential self slabbing operation to anyone else? Coin13362%281%29.jpg

Coin13362%282%29.jpg

That was my thought. Again, I cannot find any information online of a new coin certification company selling under the PCI name. I know that David Lawrence purchased PCI and renamed it DGS and then later terminated that service. This coin is clearly not a DGS product, and I have found DGS products to be great in the past.

But it has a shield on it! With a checkmark, even.

It would seem someone bought all the equipment and supplies from DGS when it ceased operation. The coin looks AU55 to me.

wasent there something about pci coming back out or something with a new slab as well. i thought i heard somebody brought them? ill have to go and look for it now if i can remember where i saw it :(

That was my thought. Again, I cannot find any information online of a new coin certification company selling under the PCI name. I know that David Hall purchased PCI and renamed it DGS and then later terminated that service. This coin is clearly not a DGS product, and I have found DGS products to be great in the past.

It was David Lawrence, not David Hall.

Chris

Kevin McNerney, founder of NTC, bought DGS from John Feigenbaum last summer. DGS had acquired PCI previously.

When I asked Kevin about a particular auction with a slightly different looking PCI slab he replied "Hi I'm looking into the slabs i bought a big pci deal and some of the slabs look new and some are old. Im only finding out now the difference. I cant be sure but i do have a full refund policy if you do not like the coin."

He did not mention that he has all the old PCI equipment and I felt his reply was less than honest.

Lance.

Coinman, would you please post the link? I would like to see the slab.

Since this is an on going eBay auction, I chose to remove the link that I had posted for legal reasons. With that said, I will PM the link to anyone who is interested. I'm in the process of finding the link again, and I am sending you a private message as we speak.

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not implying that the original seller is intentionally misrepresenting the coin although I think the PCI grade is ridiculous.

Pm me the link as well please.

Ditto.

It's so sad that PCI was truly legitimate at one time, and I think exceeded both PCGS and NGC in terms of accurate, consistent grading. I believe I own eight PCI-certified coins, all from a much different - MUCH BETTER - era in their grading.

I knew the grader who was responsible for their all-too-brief reign of legitimacy, but have unfortunately lost track of him.

Pm me the link as well please.

Ditto.

It's so sad that PCI was truly legitimate at one time, and I think exceeded both PCGS and NGC in terms of accurate, consistent grading. I believe I own eight PCI-certified coins, all from a much different - MUCH BETTER - era in their grading.

I knew the grader who was responsible for their all-too-brief reign of legitimacy, but have unfortunately lost track of him.

In the early 90s, Skip Fazzari was with PCI as a grader. He was one of the first to man the NCS department of NGC, as far as I know. I have about 4 boxes full of inexpensive PCI stuff in the good holders, mostly fairly modest in value.

Kevin McNerney, founder of NTC, bought DGS from John Feigenbaum last summer. DGS had acquired PCI previously.

When I asked Kevin about a particular auction with a slightly different looking PCI slab he replied "Hi I'm looking into the slabs i bought a big pci deal and some of the slabs look new and some are old. Im only finding out now the difference. I cant be sure but i do have a full refund policy if you do not like the coin."

He did not mention that he has all the old PCI equipment and I felt his reply was less than honest.

Lance.

The is very sad. It looks like he wants people to think he is bringing back PCI when in fact he is using the name to self slab. (tsk)

That is the second generation of PCI slab since DGS folded and the equipment was sold.

It looks like he wants people to think he is bringing back PCI when in fact he is using the name to self slab.

The first generation of the resurrected PCI brought back the old green bordered ten digit serial number version from1991. Those old 10 digit slabs were generally considered to be accurately graded. I have actually seen the new green slabs being promoted on ebay as the old original ten digit slabs. They can be identified by the use of some fonts on the label that weren't used on the old slabs.

An example of the first generation slab of the resurrected PCI. can be seen here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1831-CAPPED-BUST-50c-GEM-BRILLIANT-UNCIRCULATED-/300518122709?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item45f846a4d5