• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1952 Proof Half should it be slabbed and sold or sell the whole set?

11 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone

I am in a dilemma again and I wanted the advice and Experience of this board. A friend is interested in selling the coins shown. It is a 1952 Proof set still in the orginal box. If fact I have two sets of hers. I told her I would sell them for her but the Franklin half looks like a nice Cameo and some of the others as well. I'm not saying both sets have a Cameo Franklin but between the two sets there are cameos in both sets. Here's the dilemma. Should I send these proof sets to NCS and then onto NGC for Slabbing and sell them that way or should I just sell the proof sets as is. The other question is where do I sell them? I quess trying to help out a friend can be a little stressing at times as I want to help her out the best I can. Thanks in advance for any help to this dilemma.

PapaG

432633-1952proofa.jpg.5ed0c85fb1c19360f7c50d4e4f853abc.jpg

Cameo halves and quarters are worth a ton of money right now. Send the coins to NGC or PCGS for grading. If they come back cameo, you're in the $$$$$. If not, you can always crack and sell the sets on ebay.

TRUTH

The cameo will not bring you much of a premium if it is only on one side. Check to make sure that there is a cameo on the obverse and reverse before you think about having the coins slabbed. During this time at the mint both dies were not always introduced into service or reworked at the same time. Therefore one-sided cameo coins are not unusual.

I'm courious as to why you want to send the coins to NCS. Do they have ugly or distructive toning? If not I'd say that the coins are best left alone. As a Proof set collector in the 1970s and '80s, I avoided silver coins that had been dipped. The original surfaces, even with a little toning, are far more attractive.

I might be going against the grain here, but if the sets are not two sided cameos that are suitable for slabbing, why not leave them in the mint boxes? There are some purists out there like me who like coins in the original boxes. Sets that are sold in Capital plastic holders don’t amount to much these days. They are just “stuff.” Sets with originality have a better chance of bringing a better price even if the coins are not cameo pieces.

HI Bill

Thanks for the information and I believe that both sides of the coin are cameo on the Franklin half and Lincoln cent. The reason I said I would like to send it to NCS is the coins show a Black color Toning near the edges within the letters that surround them and a little on the fields as well. There is also a blotchy white film as well on the fields both on the reverse and Obverse. I also want to thank Truth for his comments. Bill you mentioned selling the whole set, do you think Ebay is a good choice or is there somewhere else, or do you know of where it would be a better place to sell the coins.Thanks again.

PagaG

From the photos the coins don't look like they have a heavy enough cameo to get the cameo designation.

From the looks of the toning, NCS could easily remove it. However, this is the type of toning that a quick couple of dips in Jeweluster would remove. It would be easy for a person to do at home. While there are a few purists that like this type of toning, without a doubt it will be much harder for you to sell the coins with this toning. When I buy coins like this, I factor in the cost of removing the toning and getting them regraded. If the main coin were a $200 coin white, I'd probably knock off $30 for grading and probably another $30 my time, effort, and risk. The toning might be original, but with me it costs you $60. I know a lot of people do the same or they'll offer you $150 and try to flip it for a little more. Either way, you're losing money.

As for grading, if any of the coins are going to make cameo, then send them in. If not, then you'll need to examine the coins closely. Do not take them out of their wrapper. If you go to sell the set intact, people will want to see them still in their wrapper. Look at the coins (mainly Franklin) closely with a glass and see if you can see hairlines on the coin. If there are a lot, then sell the set as is. If only a few, it's a toss-up. If very few or you don't see any, send them in.

Hi papag,

I don't know about using Ebay. If you have sold a lot of stuff there and have a following, you might do well. If you play up the fact that this is an original set that is in the original wrappers that has never been opened with the box, you have a chance that it will "catch fire."

My experience with Ebay for U.S. coins was not that good. It seemed to me that it was a place to sell less than primo material at bargain-ish prices. In the end I've used it to sell stuff that I’ve grown tied to looking at. If you had anything that was really nice for the grade, you won't get a commensurate price. Dealer colleagues have told me that they have had similar experiences.

I’ve had better success on Ebay with tokens and political pieces, which don’t have a Gray Sheet price with which to deal. When I did a nice write-up about the history of the piece, sometimes the bidders really “got into it.”

If you know and trust any dealers in your area who take tables or booths at shows and who might have a following for 20th century coins, you might try selling it to them or you could try the consignment root. The bid/ask range for a 1951 Proof set is $470 to $505. That’s for sets with coins in them that range from PR-63 to 65. If the half dollar is haired, my advice would be to leave it in the set and expect to get a price in that neighborhood. To me dipping it will not improve it or your chances for getting a higher price.

I've had good luck with NCS, but I've been selective about what I have sent there. I've used it for single coins that had a value of at least several hundred dollars. Their service is not cheap, and it costs money to ship the coins to and from their facility.

Hi Greg

Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions. I really don't want to dip the coins as I am still a little novice. I have like Bill said sent some coins into NCS and they came back really nice. Greg it is hard to tell through the Cellophane but the half does look Cameo and the Black toning somehow takes away the cameo from the letters. I might try one of the sets on Ebay as a whole set and study the half in the other set as you suggested with the hair lines. Again I thank all who have helped me out in this dilema. Greg , Truth, and Bill. I should be able to list the one set in about 3 days or so and it will be under papag1949.

PapaG

Hi Greg Bill and Truth

Well here is an update as to the 1952 Proof set. I sent it to NCS and NGC to be conserved and graded. I will send along an attachment of the Franklin Half and the rest of the grades for the set are as follows:

Washington Quarter PF65

Roosevelt Dime PF67

Jefferson Nickel PF68

Lincoln Cent PF67RD

I thank you guys for your help in this decision and I will be putting the set up for sale. Just don't know yet whether to put it on Ebay or send it to Teletrade Auction. Thanks again

PapaG

476484-58dimeprfa.jpg.159251074ce0e2e05f643438330fcd15.jpg

Hi John

Thanks very much John for your Best Wishes I do appreciate it very much. Heres hoping.

PapaG