• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

For this 1900 O/CC.... NCS Conservation First or PCGS Grading First?

4 posts in this topic

New at numismatics but I have a question.... I was wondering if it would be beneficial to have NCS Conserve (Clean) this coin first and then have it graded by PCGS or visa versa. Or will PCGS "NOT GRADABLE" it either way? Hope this question makes sense.... sorry for the numismatic ignorance on my part.

108579.jpg.a4f2dc9735f8464ad8dca7e1d556e177.jpg

108580.jpg.2747dd54bfafd0ba6fb21ac842612014.jpg

It is difficult to comment on the grading of a coin based on an image. It does appear that your coin does have a coating of a residue fairly consistently over the surfaces. The presence of a residue is often a reason a coin will be rejected from certification altogether whether it be for standard numerical grading or details grading. It is difficult for me to determine if this might prevent the coin from being certified though conservation may be able to remove this so that the coin is in the best shape when it is time to be certified.

Chris, NCS

You would have to submit the coin to NCS FIRST because they need it outside of the slab. After it's conserved then you can send it to the third party grader of your choice. If you want it to look its best and you don't like the surfaces then send it to NCS and they'll bring the original surfaces out from under the crud of a century+. Hope this helps.