• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Home from South Bend, The Spider Quarter.

6 posts in this topic

I just got back from a 4 day stay in South Bend, Indiana... not too far from Notre Dame. It was an excellent trip and I had the opportunity to visit two coin shops in the neighborhood, unfortunately there were two shops that I never made it to, one was a combined coin shop/antique shop called Caspers... I probably missed the shop closing by about 5 minutes on Saturday. I really wanted to check them out but they are closed on Sunday and Monday.

The first shop we went to was "Nunemaker's". They had a decent display of coins from Indian Head Pennies all the way to Peace Dollars and Morgans. Basically each series/denomination had it's own tray. I was hoping to pick up a proof set or two but either they didn't have any or they were packed away... sorry, I was only half listening.

I picked this Washington Quarter up:

spider.JPG

spider2.JPG

I never brought my "list" of coins and couldn't remember which coins I actually needed. I picked up the above 1954-D quarter as well as a 1951-D. I wanted to sit down and really take a good look at some of the Peace Dollars but my brother-in-law was with me and I didn't want him to get too board. We were talking with the dealer and he asked if we had checked out any of the other places near South Bend, he told me about a few other places in town, showed me a nationwide dealer directory.... I really thought he was a class act. I actually felt bad that I only spent $20 smile.gif

I checked out another place that I wasn't too thrilled with. This place seemed to sell only moderns (1940->2003) I started going through a tray of Quarters and some of the coins were listed a BU Gem and were far from it. I saw a nice coin that I actually picked up a few weeks ago for $20, I asked the guy his price and he said "$27". I asked him a price on a few other Quarters and the price seemed to go higher and higher each time I asked. They were looking for $40-$50 for coins that you could probably get for $7-$20 elsewhere. Most of the coins had the "dealer codes" on them and I'm never comfortable with that. The coins that did have prices on them also seemed over priced. (ie.) a coin I have seen over and over again for $6 was priced at $9.99. I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling.

I'm glad I'm home but I did have a good time.

Dave

That's a very interesting quarter that you have. It looks as though Washington has some serious varicose vein issues! 893whatthe.gif As for the two coins you picked up, I have to say that you likely were wise for doing so, as long as the coins were nice. I write that because, in my experience, the '54-D and the '51-D are two of the tougher issues to find really nice from 1940 through 1964. Good work! thumbsup2.gif

Good job Dave! thumbsup2.gif Always great to visit some nice shops, but frustrating when you don't have your "list" with you. 893frustrated.gif I ususally buy anything that looks good, but especially so without my list! blush.gif

Hoot

The camera didn't bring out the strike but I'd have to give them both atleast an MS64.... I'm still a bit confused on the grading of Washington Quarters as I have seen varying grades across the board.

Speaking of grading... I sent the 50-S that you sent me in for grading.. I figured, what the heck. I also sent in my end toned '63 Franklin and my 1932-D (AU58) Washington Quarter requesting a minimum grade of MS60... as I compare it to my other AU and MS Quarters, I think the 1932-D has got an excellent shot at Mint State. I think the only downfall to it is the toning/color. I figured if I gave it a dip, I could get the MS that I'm looking for but I don't want to mess around with the key coin.

The Varicose Vein Washington... I like that. If I had to guess, I think a coin was sitting on top of it and humidity or some sort of moisture caused it, despite that fact, it was still a cool looking coin. I already have a 1954-D so I may just send it in for grading. Hopefully while encapsulated, the veins will become darker smile.gif

Thanks,

Dave

Hoot,

I'm going to start posting my "list" on my website. I believe this guy had an office with a computer. I probably could have had him print it out for me... or I could have printed it out from my brother-in-laws prior to heading out to the coin shops.

South Bend was cool. People seemed to go out of their way to help (stores, restaraunts, etc) I just don't see that kind of hospitality here in NY.

Dave

Glad you had a good time in South Bend, its kinda laid back. Nunemakers started in a little town about 20 miles south of Mishawaka. I used to go there when I was a yoot. Caspers doesn't have much to offer. I used to sell them gold years ago and was always such a hassle. I haven't been there in a few years so I hope they updated their inventory.