• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation regardless of current grade

3 posts in this topic

I have a 1911-D Gold Indian Head $5 graded AU55 by PCGS. The coin looks nicely struck but as with most gold Indian half eagles, has developed an uneven dark toning in some spots on both obverse and reverse, thus making it less attractive.

I have previously submitted this coin to NCS in its current holder and was returned to me without conservation performed. I want to have it conserved by NCS and graded by NGC so it doesn't look like the odd one out my set. I love this coin regardless of its grade and holder. Would NCS conserve it if resubmitted in its current holder or do I have to submit it as raw?

Thanks and regards,

Under regular operating procedures, a coin in a PCGS holder will be evaluated prior to conservation to see that both conservation work is beneficial and that the currently stated grade will at least be maintained. Many times, if there is a risk to the grade a coin will not be conserved and returned to the submitter in the original holder. If you do wish to have a coin graded regardless of the grade and the coin will then only be evaluated to see if conservation work is beneficial, please make a note of that on the submission form when it is submitted. There still is a chance that the coin will not be conserved if conservation work is not deemed to be a benefit.

Chris, NCS

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response. I'd like to conserve the coin to remove the dark spots regardless of whether the stated grade will be maintained or not. I believe that underneath those dark spots is a very nice coin that's just waiting to come out.

The reason I want the coin encapsulated by NGC after conservation is more to protect the coin from the elements and to preserve its surface. The grade on the label is secondary. I strongly believe there is benefit to conserving this coin but I guess I'd like to know if there is a way to make sure conservation is undertaken by NCS.

Regards,