• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1863 Civil War Token - Can someone help with details

6 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My dad recently came across this token in his miscellaneous coin drawer. The token was given to him by his father and he thought I might like to have it for my collection. I’m not a real token collector and only have a few old coppers like this one. I was wondering if someone might be able to give some info on it. I have heard of a book similar to a red book called a FULD book or something like that which might have some details on the coin. I’ve heard that there are many die pairings and varieties with these type of coins and they can be difficult to identify.

Can this type of thing be submitted to NGC and if so do you feel it would be worthy of submission? Are they rare and worth slabbing?

Thanks

Have a great day

Jim

108220.jpg.ce6cac020a26ca31c9d162f6401940d0.jpg

108221.jpg.bbcca22e04b1a77a5c3ade684667e39a.jpg

Hey how's it going? I looked the token up and found several links. I was on google and typed "Money Makes the Mare Token" and got quite a few links. Some explain the meaning of the token. It comes from an old English Nursery Rhyme supposedly from 1609. It's a non-monetary token so I not sures its use.

I also saw some on Ebay . One sold for $28 and one was $17 with 3days left. Just poke around using google, Yahoo,Bing etc.....

The value depends on the grade, just like a coin. I even saw one in MS64 listed for $175.

Good Luck my friend.

Sal

This is F-254/434 a, or Fuld obverse die 254, reverse die 434, "a" for copper.

It is listed as an R-1, which is common, in both the Fuld and Kanzinger references.

We certify these at NGC and hope to have a population report online in a few months for both Civil War Patriotics and Store Cards. We have certified a lot of this particular variety.

Hope this helps.

Great info thanks so much. I'm leaning toward submitting it because it's been in the family for 3 generations and I would like to protect it for the future.

Thanks!

Great info thanks so much. I'm leaning toward submitting it because it's been in the family for 3 generations and I would like to protect it for the future.

Thanks!

The only reason to have it slabbed would be for sentimental value. It's not worth enough to justify the expense otherwise.

It's a nice token, but it's not among the rare ones.