• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Made a pop 18 coin w/ none higher in a popular serie's...what would you do?

8 posts in this topic

With the assistance of a good friend,he submitted a few coin's for me over at pcgs.

One of the coin's came back 1971-S PR69-DCAM Jeff. Nickel.

My plan is to sell the coin,here are my idea's on how to do it:

Not in any certain order.

Private treaty.

eBay with a reserve

eBay at $9.99 and let it ride

Heritage

and Teletrade...

I have not received the coin yet.

more suggestion's or comment's are welcome.

Rob

For some reason, a pop 18 coin doesn't sound attractive. However, I don't know the modern market very well. If the coin is valued under $500, ebay is a safe bet. If the coin is a registry dream, then Heritage is the way to go. I've sat through many a modern auction at Heritage, only to walk away shaking my head as to the prices they can achieve. Good luck.

TRUTH

Rob---over a year ago, when I was really into proof Jeffs, one of the most expensive moderns was/is the 71-S PR69DC. I finally found one on eBay and won the auction @ $750. The guy shipped it to me, it got lost in the mail, and I ended up finding it sitting on a shelf in the main lost and found mail distribution office. But in the meantime, the owner had already filed for the insurance on it and another 69DC was up at Heritage WITH a 70-S PR69DC that I also needed. So I sent the owner back his and won the bid on the two Heritage Jeffs for $1500. Fate was working for me in this case.

I have since sold all my PR Jeffs thru auction with Heritage. Lost money on all but two of them. I do not blame Heritage for the loss, but I do think they were partly responsible because they use such terrible pictures! People want to SEE what they are buying! It isn't enough anymore to just trust the slab, even PCGS (as they all were).

If you want proof of just how bad the pics can be, go to Heritage Sale 337 Bullet Sale from last Feb. Look up lots # 30645, 30651, 30658, 30661, 30662, 30665, 30667, 30669, 30670. My 71-S PR69DC was #30687 and the 70-S was #30684. Most of them look like MS Jeffs, not proofs and certainly not cam or Dcam! This is only a partial list of the ones they "sold" for me. The only ones that came even close to true representing the DC were the PR70DCs, but even then, they were not the best.

My rant boils down to the suggestion to stick with eBay. Put a reserve on it. If it doesn't sell, try Teletrade or ANR auctions. I would avoid Heritage.

David

David,

I really appreciate your advice,from reading your post's here,and across the street I really value your opinion.

I still haven't received the coin yet,but in the meantime I'm leaning toward exactly what you said. If I go the ebay route I will be in "control" plus having the coin in hand.And not having to deal with the middleman.

I'm hoping that the coin REALLY deserve's the grade,I don't personally collect Jeff. Nickel's,but I want the coin to go to a person who really need's it to fill that "tough" hole.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Thank's Again...David

Rob

David,

I just looked at all your image's on Heritage's site....all I can say is WOW I would be upset also.You were not kidding,that is to bad.

The 50's cam coin's are especially bad,I have to admit,I have a soft spot for 50's cameo coinage,and for being desegnated cameo on the slab,the image's do not even come close to looking cameo....hence (probably) the low price's.

Obviously the proof..no pun intended..is in the puddin.

I will definately heed your advice!

I have a pretty good digi-cam,so I'll keep in mind to make sure I do the coin justice when shooting it.

I was also wondering,if you have a young numismatist in your household, if they have any favorite coin, I would like to send him/her something as a token of my appreciation for your advice.

If not...I would somehow like to return the favor. smile.gif

Thank's again

Rob

Thanks Rob---but the thought that you wish to return the favor is more then enough. Helping you make the best informed decision when it comes time to sell your coin(s) is payment enough, and what the boards are all about! wink.gif

David