• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Coin Grades

2 posts in this topic

I just received my Edison Proof and I was sure it would grade 70! I checked it over with 20 mag. and it came to me in 69UC....I am not sure what I should look for in modern proof coins to expect a 70 grade. I need some help! I can not see any flaws at all in this coin and I believe I received a first strike...can you tell me specific things to look for?........metal flow..crispness...minute/micro/blemishes..do I need to get a microscope to evaluate proof coins before I send them? I hate the disappointment! can you help me?

There are several factors which could have led to your Thomas Edison proof not coming back as a Proof 70 UC. On this particular issue, first check the devices i.e. the lettering, Edison's figure, especially in the coat and lapel region, and the light bulb on the reverse for starters, for scuffs and or slight abrasions. The fields must also be completely devoid of marks and/or hairlines, which are often hard to catch at first glance. Careful rotation and turning under a single light source in an otherwise dark room is ideal for catching hairlines and minor marks which will not allow a Proof 70 grade. A 5x magnifier should be more than adequate to spot any problem areas, a 20x magnifier or microscope as you suggested may be a little overkill, and possibly lead to missing the forest for the trees, so to speak. In other words, such magnification may hinder your ability to pick up hairlines and abrasions, which could possibly be easier spotted with the proper conditions and no magnification at all.