• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error Coins

1 post in this topic

Hello everyone! I'm new here and happy I found this forum. It's something I've been looking for since my specialty interest has become Error Coins. There are alot of error coins out there and I always wondered how people were able to get a value for their Coins. Obviously the grade and the lucky chance that the error is listed in a book because it's a well known error such as the 1955 Double date penny for example.

I have a book and I'm not sure I'm supposed to make references so forgive me if I made a no no.lol . The book is called "Price Guide to Mint Errors" by Alan Herbert. It's filled with info. that is very good at explaining the minting process in detail from beginning to end. It also explains the errors that occur at different stages of the process. Take "Doubling" for example. Many people think there are maybe a few types at most. Most people call it " Double Die" but in actuality it's called "Hub Doubling" and there are more than 2 dozen different causes of doubling on coins that are a part of the minting process, plus machine doubling which occurs after the strike. A coin can have a doubled Mintmark, doubled date, doubled lettering etc....

All of these errors are made while the coin is in the Die Division. I have a 1968d Kennedy Half that is a "DDR" (double die reverse). Just about every letter is doubled. It's called a "Pivoted Hub Doubling" which is defined as a" die that was Hubbed normally, then for the second impression the hub was offset or turned in any direction on a pivot point". Page 130 of the book I mentioned(4th edition). At the end of the explanation it gives the coin a rarity level of 3-6 and values $10 and up. Remind you, The 4 th edition is from 2002 and for the value it doesn't say if the value is in addition to the normal value or what. Then there's grading to consider .

After all that Info. I still don't know how much the value is of my coin. Im sure a penny would be less than the Half dollar I have. There must be a book or website out there to help me better. One person may say $20 and another may say $40. Then they sell it on an auction site starting at $75. It's hard to trust anybody. Can Anyone help me Please?????? I estimated the grade to be in EF-40 or a little higher. I contacted Fred Weinberg's website in the past and got the run-around. I will post a pictures as soon as I can figure out how to get a very close shot of it. I can only see the error with a 5xto 20x loop using the strongest magnifyer.

Thanks for reading and any info. will be appreciated .

Thanks. Sal