• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post auction buys

6 posts in this topic

"Post auction buys" are usually coins which didn't meet the reserve and are subsequently offered at the reserve price (plus the 15% buyer's premium).

I wouldn't say that they are always a bad deal. But it's hard to get enthusiastic about buying a coin at a price which the rest of the (very large) bidding audience just passed on. ;)

>>> But it's hard to get enthusiastic about buying a coin at a price which the rest of the (very large) bidding audience just passed on. >>>

mark and i go back a few decades ....and this is the first time ive ever seen him error....albeit a technicality

as

i have bought a few monsters ( 5 to be exact ...pop 1 coins to boot or the best of the best ) over the years after the auction .....each time it was because the reserve was set wayyyyyyyy too high and the seller did some rethinking of his reserves or was " leaned on " as twice im sure it was because the seller owed the auction house ...either by previous purchases or advances from said auction house

so dont give up the ship as sometimes they can pressure a consignor

monsterman

>>> But it's hard to get enthusiastic about buying a coin at a price which the rest of the (very large) bidding audience just passed on. >>>

mark and i go back a few decades ....and this is the first time ive ever seen him error....albeit a technicality

as

i have bought a few monsters ( 5 to be exact ...pop 1 coins to boot or the best of the best ) over the years after the auction .....each time it was because the reserve was set wayyyyyyyy too high and the seller did some rethinking of his reserves or was " leaned on " as twice im sure it was because the seller owed the auction house ...either by previous purchases or advances from said auction house

so dont give up the ship as sometimes they can pressure a consignor

monsterman

Monsterman, you're talking about successful results where the seller subsequently lowered his reserve. I'm talking about those in which the reserve is unchanged. Not all of us can scare the consignor into dropping the price like you can :D