• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don Taxay books I acquired recently

3 posts in this topic

I recently picked up a couple of Don Taxay's books--- Scott's Comprehensive Catalogue and Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins, 1971 and An Illustrated History of

U. S. Commemorative Coinage, both in hard copy.

I understand that their is quite a discussion going on regarding Don Taxay's works

and his disappearance. I would like to hear anyones thoughts on Don Taxay and his works.

Thanks

Jim

In my opinion those are two of his weaker works. I think Counterfeit, Mistruck, and Unofficial US Coins was better, but his best work is US Mint and Coinage.

Taxay only disappeared in the sense that he stopped writing about coins and he did leave the country. He went to, I believe, India where he joined one of the groups following one of the many gurus. But that was nearly forty years ago so he is probably dead now. He was heard from occasionally during the 70's and 80's by people who knew him.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The last Taxay sighting was 1981, but it was very brief before he off to Nirvana again.