• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tired of Me Yet? posted by Mr. Thompson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

This economy is great....or is it?

I read Hunter's Gold post and wondered if the individual from whom he purchased the set was a friend of mine from right here in the Collectors Society home. I strongly suspect he was. Hunter, was to honor one of our fellow collectors by posting such a nice piece. I think it is true of pretty much everyone on the board that we collect for many reasons, only one of which is preservation of history. Nice job mate!

Speaking of history, as some of you know I was pretty much history in terms of my ability to collect coins any longer. In fact, I had to sell off about 1,000 graded coins, each and every one I adored, just to make it through this nightmare and survive.

I am pleased to say that I have recently been able to add some coins to my collection (see Small Cents - bicentennial in particular and the new Union cents as well as a couple proof Jefferson Nickels presently en route).

At this point I am stunned at the price of the MS-67 small cents of 2009 and 2010 and cannot justify spending a c note per coin. I am pleased however to at least add several MS-66 and SP-68s.

I know some of you know the story of how badly I was doing and I am still deep in a hole recovering from a massive economic downfall. Here's a little something to lift your spirits about our fellow collectors.

When all seemed bleakest and I was gong down for the third time, a gentleman who operated a trust from a fellow collector contacted me via this very website offering to help in my time of need. I was sworn to secrecy to not reveal the name of the donor as he/she wanted no recognition.

I like to tell you this because this is the type of caliber of folks who participate in collecting and in the Collectors Society.

I hope to be in a place where I can offer a gift to someone in need, right here on this site.

In short, you all are quite special folks and I want to wish each of you a Happy New Year and blessed 2011

See more journals by Mr. Thompson