• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Error Coins

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm looking for a member/s who I can talk to about Error Coins.

This part of coin collecting/ currency collecting has really intrigued me. I have several coins/ currency that are errors, but I have one that I just can't figure out. It's questionable by some but I have researched long enough to know that it is genuine . I just can't explain how the three errors I have found could be accomplished and make it into circulation. It's a 1965 dime. #1 error : My best guess is that this error is called a coin that was "Struck on a Faulty Upset Edge Planchet. Ref. "Official Guide to Mint Errors" by Alan Herbert. #2 is that the coin is yellowed and it appears legitimate under 20x power. #3 The strangest of the three is that on the reverse, the letters of E PLURIBUS UNUM have spikes coming off from the tops of the letters, all of them.

"" '''' ''' '''' ''' ''' '''

E PLURIBUS Like this except they are coming from right at the top of the letters. Strange or what??

1. Need to see pictures of this one.

2. A yellowish color can often be caused by toning, which is perfectly natural.

3. Sounds like a worn die. As the die strikes coins, metal flows which erodes the die, causing an effect like you describe. Very common, and not worth a premium.

I have no idea what a "Struck on a Faulty Upset Edge Planchet" could be except maybe struck on a type 1 blank. So once again a call for pictures. The yellowish color is almost certainly toning and the spikes are most likely a worn die as Physics said.

You can set up a free acoount on a photohosting site like Photobucket and upload your photos there. Then you can easily link them to this forum.

I'm telling you there is an actual error documented just like this coin. It's in" The Official Guide To Error Coins" by Alan Herbert. It's description is exactly like this. It occurs during the Upsetting process. The machine was not set correctly and the coin was tilted as well. It ended up gouging a groove out of the coin.

Can you show photos of the obverse/reverse?

I'm thinking like everyone else it was caused post-minting. I think this because I see the edge reeding at top, thus struck normally there, than a plain-edge portion of smaller diameter at first but than slightly increasing in width at the bottom. This is usually seen in coins used as encasements; something was "pinching" the edge.

The other possibility is that it may be a clamshell split. I doubt this, but is also why I'm asking for the additional photos.

I'm telling you there is an actual error documented just like this coin. It's in" The Official Guide To Error Coins" by Alan Herbert. It's description is exactly like this. It occurs during the Upsetting process. The machine was not set correctly and the coin was tilted as well. It ended up gouging a groove out of the coin.

Please give me the page # in Herbert's book.

Chris

PMD, this is another example of a clad coin that has had an extended soak in an acid that attacks the copper more rapidly than the coppernickel layers.