• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swinging For The Fences posted by Jackson

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

every once in a while you gotta go for the home run

My most recent submission has reached quality control. Now I was going to send a mix of things including my 2010 proof ASE's..but in the end I thought I'd take my 5 submission coupon and go for a long-shot with a potential big return. I sent 5 of my Walker MS66's in for regrade, hoping to get either an MS67, an MS66+ or an MS66*.

You may ask what the big deal would be in getting an MS66+ from my MS66?..well I'll give you an example. One of my regrade submissions was my 1940-S MS66 with a CAC sticker for being premium quality for the grade. An MS66 lists at around $1,100.00 however the 67 lists at over $27,000.00 !!!!! So what that means I'm not sure but if a coin is graded MS66+ doesn't that mean it is just short of being a $27,000 coin? Would the FMV be more in the $10,000 range than the $1,100 range?...if it does, then you see why I took a shot.

In the years and years I have been a member and been sending coins to NGC I have been trying this a few times each year. To date, I have NEVER hit on one of these upgrades or even got the raw coin in a slab at that top tier. Eventually I gotta get one right? Even us little dogs gotta get thrown a bone once in a while.

The other coins I submitted were my 1941 in an old NGC fatty ( all were 66's remember)..great color and eye appeal--my prediction is a legitimate shot at 67 since I've seen few MS67's which actually are nicer than mine ( and to be honest, many 67's baffle me if mine is a 66).

I also sent my 1934 MS66. It is superior in strike, eye-appeal, and has less contact marksand more attractive color than the MS67 that I own--also a shot at 67 but I at least expect a+ ( probably not a * because some of the toning is dark).

I sent my 1945 which has pretty rainbow blends of red and orange hoping to get a * or +......and finally, another old NGC fatty when grading was stricter, a 1945-D with booming luster and that subtle wood grain striations, and top notch strike..maybe a 67 but at least a + I'm hoping.

Truth be told, I won't be surprised if they all just are returned in their original slabs, barely glanced at ( I read a report that says each coin is looked at for an average of 4-6 seconds each per side)..but I am hard-headed and keep taking these tries. After all, I actually look at thousands of Walkers per year--closely studying images and in-hand at shows and conventions/expos. I can say with all of my misguided arrogance that I may be a better expert at grading Walkers than the pros..after all, that IS ALL I look at for the most part. Not only that I know what collectors of the series love, what is coveted and what is unacceptable...oh well, I've rambled long enough--just preparing myself for the inevitable let down ( maybe I won't get as frustrated and angry this way)...but wouldn't it be a thrill to even get one or two of these coins with a +,* or upgrade--more than anything it may be just the validation of the years of study and selective picking that I've done and NGC finally giving me confirmation that I may actually know what I'm doing.

8133.jpg

See more journals by Jackson

Glad to see ya taking a chance, however always remember they can lower the grade unless you specify not to grade if lower.

I too have recently taken the biggest chance I'm going to take for awhile at least. I bought a 1995 W Proof set of Eagles and sent them in with some 2010 Eagles as well to get graded. They are also at Quality Control status and I'm anxious as anyone can imagine to find out if I got really lucky or not. Hoping for the best and if all else fails I hope the Silver gets the 70 if none else!

GOOD LUCK on your submission!

Good luck in your submission and please let us know how you do.

Even though the grading scales may have slipped somewhat over the years (an old 66 in the higher range of 66 is now a 67), I think that most graders are reluctant to say "we were wrong" the first time.

You might have a better chance of getting the upgrade if you cracked the coin out of the holder and submitted it raw. But then, you are really taking a larger risk that you might get a downgrade as well.

I submitted a few for regrade in the NGC holder, and they came back so fast, I wonder if anyone even looked at them except the mail guy that opened the package.