• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you saw the best struck example you've ever seen...

16 posts in this topic

But it was counterstruck, would you buy it or pass hm

I passed on a incredible struck token a years ago as it had a large counter strike and it still haunts me, as I've never before or since have seen a problem-free example it's equal. :frustrated:

Thanks in advance! :eyeroll:

It is very wise to own the best possible strike for any type coin you are interested in. This is with total disregard to any other issues that are not related to sharpness, with the purpose being to have a reference coin to compare all others against.

In fact, I might actually prefer one that is impaired in some way, just so I can own the ultimate reference coin at the lowest possible price.

There really are times when "problems" are definitely not a problem!

I would acquaint that to my nightmares about Dwight Clark catching a game winning touchdown against my Cowboys in the 1982 NFC Championship game. I had nightmares for years about that game. And, although I no longer have nightmares about it, it still hurts to think of and talk about.

So that's been.... almost 30 years now? So, in about 30 years your pain will almost be gone, but when someone brings it up, it will still hurt and it will linger for a bit, but you'll almost be over it!!

Honestly, I would not buy a problem coin even for a "reference." I just can't stand the thought of counterstrikes, excessive polishing, whizzing, whatever, on my coin - even if it is the best struck thing I'd ever seen.

That reminds me of a 1953-S Franklin I saw in a magazine once. This thing was absolutely the best struck Franklin you'd ever seen, better than most 48-D's. But it had a huge lamination across the bell lines. The remnants were amazingly well struck, but right there across both sets of lines, slightly right of the crack, was a huge chunk of the coin missing. What would you have done?

It really would depend on if I did not mine counterstrikes.

Personally, I an not fond of counterstrikes, but if I REALLY wanted the item and specimens are few a d far between, I would go for it.

I would acquaint that to my nightmares about Dwight Clark catching a game winning touchdown against my Cowboys in the 1982 NFC Championship game. I had nightmares for years about that game. And, although I no longer have nightmares about it, it still hurts to think of and talk about.

So that's been.... almost 30 years now? So, in about 30 years your pain will almost be gone, but when someone brings it up, it will still hurt and it will linger for a bit, but you'll almost be over it!!

I remember 'The Catch' and can see it now as if it just happened, and I can right now feel the joy that we all felt as '9er fans that started a nice run of Superbowl wins for us, I get goose bumps playing it in my head, just like when Brian Wilson made that last pitch this year to win the Series, tears well up in the eyes........ :)

Broadstruck, man I would have taken that counterstrike and am surprised you did not, but we all have 'the one that got away' so don't let it knaw on you.......

If the coin has character and eye appeal I can forgive a lot.

A T$ with counterstamps is cool. A large or small cent with planchet alloy mix streaks can be beautiful.

But I draw the line on exaggerated AT, any harsh cleaning, and plugs or tooling.

Lance.

Mr. Times.... I hate you!!! lol

I even remember where I was when it occurred - the TV room at EMU on University of Oregon campus, a rainy day, in the 40's, typical for Eugene weather that time of year (I came in at around half time as I was afraid they were going to lose and did not want to watch), and a 100 students jumping wildly as Joe was pumping his fist after the strike to Dwight in the back of the end zone..... :banana:

One of the truly momentous events in the 80's :whee:

If the coin has character and eye appeal I can forgive a lot.

A T$ with counterstamps is cool. A large or small cent with planchet alloy mix streaks can be beautiful.

But I draw the line on exaggerated AT, any harsh cleaning, and plugs or tooling.

Lance.

Yeah I have been looking for the right TD with counterstamps, those have so much history to them and character.......

If counterstruck = counterstamp, I could pass on that coin in a minute and never regret it.

I have only one counterstamp coin in my collection and that's the cent with "Vote the land free" on it. There are a couple of others I'd like to have, but that's about it.

Honestly?? I don't really like counterstruck coins. I would never buy a Walker that had one but, also, I have never even seen one (Walker w/counterstamp)!! I think it is more acceptable on earlier coinage; maybe then. But, generally, I don't like it and I wouldn't regret passing on one.

Alot of dealers use the counterstike as a means to give you less money when you go to sell; not all but many. It really depends on the dealer as some dealers DO like that stuff.

I have to say that all the Broadstruck SLQ's & Mercury Dimes I have seen

have come with as nice a strike as I have ever seen. Sometimes the B/S

coins are far superior to normal strikes.

As far as counter struck coins... I have only bought one... wonder why ... :D

1870-SHalfRaw-engravedMHayes.jpg

1870-S - its for a key chain.