• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Incredible 1918 Mercury Dime posted by Beaw

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Is this the rarest dime of all???

One of my favorite coins is the Mercury (Winged Liberty Head) dime and I am currently working on a one-a-year registry set of Mercury Dimes. It is complete except for the 1918 dime which is currently a placeholder Details graded coin. I have been using Teletrade and EBAY for many months now to find a Mercury to add that is within my budget, say less than 150.00.

A 1918-S in AU58 appeared on Ebay a few days ago and I kind of noticed it was attracting a great deal of attention (bids) early so I thought I would blow through its 60.00 book value and just bid 100.00. Well with a little over a day to go, I have already been outbid. Amazing, how can a coin be so thoroughly undervalued by EVERY price list when EVERY time one in AU to MS63 comes on the market, the bidding blows the book value out of the water.

I currently have my EBAY account set to flag any new PCGS, NGC, or even ANACS (for resubmission) coin that is made available. Keeping my fingers crossed but I will probably have to find a very reputable dealer with a raw 1918 I can submit. I tried that once before and the coin coin came back ungradeable due to ink residue(?).

Wish me luck.

See more journals by Beaw