• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a Henning Nickel?

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The photos are too indistinct to make any determination. 1953 was one of the several dates that Henning replicated with a single reverse die. This reverse has a void in letter R of PLURIBUS that appears on each coin.

I believe the Henning nickels were of war nickels? Particularly 1944? And the easiest way to tell is that it does not have the mint mark above the dome on the reverse. I have one and it's mushier than a normal strike. So, I would have to say no.

Also, if would help if you could crop down the photos. At first I was going to say it looks like it's blue cloth, not a nickel!! lol

Agree with David. I do believe that there are some Henning nickels that do not have the faulty "R," but whether that applies just to the 1944 date or not, I do not know. :)

All the hennings I have seen have had a mushy strike and that doesn't appear to be the case here. Henning did use several reverse dies and only one of them had the void in the R.