• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This one's for SkyMan.

7 posts in this topic

I just thought this was interesting. It looks like a space capsule on Liberty's cheek on an 1878-S Morgan. By the way, it's raised so it is not PMD.

Chris

107463.jpg.109b5530f7dd2725d707de9cfcedf416.jpg

WOW, that's quite a birthmark Chris! Thank you very much for the heads up!!! :golfclap: I'll be checking out '78-S's in the future.

So, is that a known VAM or what?

Let's see, I think I've got a capsule image around here somewhere. Yeah, here it is. The capsule is Gemini 7, with Gemini 6 taking the image.

gemini7.jpg

Here are a few items from "Ye Olde Space Collection" to go with this thread. The first image is of a (plated) tie clip once owned by Jerry Hammack, a top manager of NASA. It's a Gemini capsule "preparing" to dock with an Agena rocket.

GeminiAgenaPin2.jpg

Here are some unflown bills signed by the Gemini 6 and 7 crews...

G6; Wally Schirra, Tom Stafford.

GT6ss.jpg

G7; Frank Borman, Jim Lovell.

GT7ss.jpg

... and finally to redo the capsule theme, here is a flown crew patch from Gemini 7. Look just to the left of the flame on the obverse of the patch.

lf-1.jpg

lf.jpg

Thanks again Chris!

Fun movie "horse" BTW Merovingian. (thumbs u

WOW, that's quite a birthmark Chris! Thank you very much for the heads up!!! :golfclap: I'll be checking out '78-S's in the future.

So, is that a known VAM or what?

I took the photo a while back, so I'll have to retrieve the coin and see if there are any other PUP's to make it easier to locate. I'll try to post more photos later.

Chris

I took another look at it, it's in a PCGS MS64, but there are no other PUP's that would make it easier to find a similar specimen. I'm not sure about the VAM# (all Morgan & Peace dollars are VAM's). The "space capsule" is located on a line between the corner of Liberty's mouth and the bottom of her earlobe just to the left of the halfway point. It is pointing in a direction between 12 & 1 o'clock, but as you can see, I didn't rotate the photo enough. There are also other smaller, raised "bumps" on her face which suggest that these were the result of die deterioration or a rusty die.

Thanks, Tom!

Chris