• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1912 Commemorative Dollar

11 posts in this topic

How cool could it have been to have one of these is your collection: :)

1912CommemorativeDollar800X684.jpg

It was thought to be especially fitting in 1912 to suggest that the United States Government-one hundred years after the War of 1812-issue a commemorative silver coin of the denomination of one dollar, the design of which will emphasize the wonderful growth of the country that range of time.

For this commemorative dollar the above design is submitted, from which Walter E. Blyth, a young New York artist, has taken this suggestion for the above drawings

It's a true travesty in my mind that this design never made it into production! :(

Looks like the predecessor to the state quarter program! Would each state have had a dollar issued?

Yes. Each of the 48 States of the Union in 1912 would have had their own example with each states "coat-of-arms" on the reverse.

I wonder what Teddy Roosevelt would have said? I wonder if he would have added this to his "Pet Crime?"

It also would have been interesting if he would have run in 1908 rather than follow through on his Shermanesque statement following assassination of McKinley.

Scott

So many truly artistic coin designs failed to make it into production This is one of them. I think it's a superb coin design. Having a design accepted for production back in those early days of the twentieth century, was all back slapping politics, and how far the artist was willing to bend over.