• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finished Another "Set" posted by Jackson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

just a year set, but still a complete set

It happens so rarely that I couldn't let the accomplishment pass without at least a quick journal to record the event. I finally finished my 1944 year set !!

Yesterday I was perusing ebay and came across the final coin I needed -a 1944-D Washington quarter. I had seen a few before in the MS67 grade I was looking for but they were either not as attractive as I wanted or else they were way over-priced sitting in a "Buy It Now" inventory on ebay. Has anyone else noticed that since ebay re-structured things a year or so ago that there are far less auctions and far more items stuck in BIN at about 20-50% markups? I guess the sellers figure that for 10c a month they may as well give their inventories markups and let them sit in inventory month after month--heck, if they sell even one of these coins a month it can cover a year's worth of their listing fees...okay rant over and back to the point.

So I found the coin in the grade, eye-appeal and price I was looking for and jumped on it. Now my 1944 year set is finished. It has all MS67 except for the 1944-S Walker which I have in an MS66. The only possible upgrade left is if I can find a 1944 P mercury with FSB.

One interesting note about the 1944 year set--I actually finished #1 ranked this year. That is not what's interesting however. It seems that there has been a different #1 every year-2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, and now me for 2010..so there are alot of ribbon icons next to various names in that set. Who knows, maybe next year there'll be a seventh straight different winner.

Here's my final piece to the 1944 puzzle..it is worth noting that all 3 of my Washies in this set are now housed in old fat NGC holders-just a coincidence, but still pretty cool...

8076.jpg

See more journals by Jackson