• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do to get a younger persons interest in coin collecting.

14 posts in this topic

I'm hoping for some ideas here in how to get my Grandchildrens interest in my Hobby of coin collecting. I show them the coins that I have and the differences in them, and I even order them Proof sets every year from the mint. I give them a Slabbed Silver Eagle every year at Christmas and tell them to put them aside. Is there a web site that is directed towards the younger collector that I can show them? Is there any books out there that I can get that are again directed towards the kids? Any help I would appreciate instead of the usual comments from the kids " That's nice Grandpa." By the way I have six Grandchildren 4 boys and 2 Girls. Thanks in advance for any help in this.

I believe that Larry Gentile has a Young Numismatists program that he does at many shows during the year. There are exhibits, freebies and talks for youngsters at this event. He might be doing one at the GSNA in NJ in May. You may try to contact him through the ANA and see what he suggests.

Also, the ANA had run a Young Numismatists program of their own and certain sections of Numismatist, the association's monthly journal, are devoted to games and such for younger collectors. Good luck.

Thanks Tom

I do live close to NJ so I will be looking to go if I can and if the Kids want to go. I receive the magazine and thanks for bringing it to my attention about the articles. I'll look tonight. Thanks again. laugh.gif

Papag

Thanks John

I never thought of the mint HOME PAGE but I'll admit I have the US MINT PRODUCTS Page as one of my Favorites. foreheadslap.gif Again I will check it out tonight when I get home from work. Thanks again.

Papag

I'd say the best thing to do would be to give them a state quarter board or album and a Red Book. You might also might throw in a cent board since cents have been the bellweather coins for beginning collectors for many years.

If a young person is cut out to be a collector they will get the urge to fill every hole in the album. If they don't have that urge they probably are not cut out to be collectors.

Some people say that clubs and collectors should give coins to kids. To me that's only good to a point. If the kid really wants to collect the coin that can be good. But if he or she doesn't really care, they will lose it or go out and sell it.

Larry Gentile does a great job at the shows, but it still galls me when kids come out of the YN program and try sell what has been given to them as fast as they can. After donating an item that is worth $10 to $20 to the cause, that sort of thing just does not sit well with me. confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi Bill

I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I do have a State Quarters album started for each Grandchild and When the coins from the Mint come in we get together and put them in. My Granddaughter God BLess Her, always asks "How come it takes so long for the mint to make them Grandpa?" I try and explain but I see the eyes rolling and I cut it short. The Penny albums sounds like a super Idea and I know its easier to get them more often. Thanks again and appreciate the comments.

Papag

I believe that Larry Gentile has a Young Numismatists program that he does at many shows during the year. There are exhibits, freebies and talks for youngsters at this event. He might be doing one at the GSNA in NJ in May. You may try to contact him through the ANA and see what he suggests.
Tom's very right... the program is very educational... I went last year. I felt a little old, but it was a good experience--I might pop my head in this year when I go to GSNA.

Jeremy

The best way is to get them started with filling a folder with easily available coins. Some people will provide buffalo nickels or other obsolete type for them to look through to fill the folder but if they can't find more coins later then they might give up. The best set is something which is completeable from circulation but is difficult enough to be a challenge. West of the Mississippi the cents make an excellent choice but since cents don't circulate well many of the old "S" mints are rarely encountered elsewhere. Dimes and quarters make excellent choices but they tend to be pretty easily completed if grade isn't a consideration. Sets of the quarters in F or the dimes in VF are getting very difficult to finish so if they attempt these, be sure to suggest that the best examples make for a superior collection. Nickels are pretty tough in any grade now but can be completed if enough coins are searched. Halfs make an interesting set but more effort is required to obtain examples and several will probably not be seen.

States quarters also make an obvious choice, but remember that all these coins are easily found and might not hold all childrens' attention.

Folders for all these coins are being mass produced for the first time since the sixties and are available in many bookstores and coin shops. It's fun to watch kids get excited about collecting coins.

Here`s a personal experience that I used to get my children interested in coin collecting. I went to the bank and got $50.00 worth of various coins in rolls. then took them home and sat down on the floor and started looking for varieties and older coins as well as those with an S mintmark. My childen asked me what I was doing ? So I explained that some coins were special and that they can be worth a lot of money. To a child ten or twenty dollars is a lot of money. They asked what I was looking for ? I gave them each a Red Book of which I`m sure as a collector you are familiar with. I showed them some of the varieties. Like double dies and overdates. Then some mint errors from the back pages . Well , needless to say the hunt was on. We found several die crack coins, some filled dies, some wheat cents fromthe 40`s and 50`s, a proof quarter from the 80`s , and several S mint cents and nickels. Also some older Jefferson`s from the late 30`s and mid to late 40`s. They ask if anything we found was worth alot of money? I told them we would look through some rolls each week until the next local coin show and they could take whatever we had found. We went to the show and the first dealer they showed their cache to bought the lot for $15 over face value. That was it the kids were hooked. Now we actually share an exchange of numismatic knowledge. As they read my books and magazines almost as much as I do and sometimes catch articles I overlooked. Each has their own collection and like to compare, examine , buy, sell and trade. I hope this is in some way helpful. thumbsup2.gif

Great story Reid and a fine topic....Of course, in some way, we are all concerned with the future health and prosperity of our hobby.

I never had any children, but I do have a way that I try to generate interest. For the past 20 years or so, for Halloween, I give out foreign coins. Three different foreign coins in a little 2x2 zip-lock....I'm sure I've disappointed my share of youngsters that would prefer a Milky-Way bar....but.....

I'll never know, but I'm sure that I'm responsible for at least one numismatist. laugh.gif

call the ana in colorado springs and see where the local coin club is and see if they have a junior coin club for the kids under 18

call richard nachbar a coin dealer he does lots for kids and clubs he will send you coin boards for coins and also some free stuff for the kids

he is in buffalo ny

his phone number is 1 877 622 4227 toll free he will have the ana number you need also

michael

To Everyone

I knew this was the right place to ask this important question. Thanks to all for the Great Tips and Comments to help me get my Grandkids interested in this great Hobby. Your ideas and experiences are great and I love the one with going to the bank to get the rolls of various denominations. Its better to do this than to go to the Walmart and buy a toy. Maybe though I will check Walmart to see if they have the coin folders. I agree that pennies, dimes and Quarters might be the best for the folders. The grandkids get a lot of change from other Grandparents and Parents. I have gone to the Mint Home Page and to be honest I was even interested in the articles for kids and also the Numistics Magazine. I will also try and get in touch with the ANA to see about local coin clubs in the area although I know that I'm here in the Poconos and might have to travel a little but to me its worth it. Thanks to ALL for the great help and insight. Who knows someday you may see a PapaG Junior on this forum. My since thanks again everyone.

Papag