• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

From 1958 Mint Set - Washington, Franklin and Jefferson

7 posts in this topic

Three coins from a 1958 Mint Set.

All coins have mint set toning... The Washingtom has nice clean fields and very few dings....

The Franklin has something from the die on the reverse in "Dollar", and the Jefferson seems to be FS.

1958-Washington-12112010-obv-sml.jpg

1958-Washington-12112010-rev-sml.jpg

1958-Franklin-12112010-obv-sml.jpg

1958-Franklin-12112010-rev-sml.jpg

1958D-Jefferson-12112010-obv-sml.jpg

1958D-Jefferson-12112010-rev-sml.jpg

Large Images:

Washington Obv

Washington Reverse

Franklin Obv

Franklin Rev

Jefferson Obv

Jefferson Reverse

The quarter has a small dig on the cheek and maybe a line running down to the throat which could be a mark or from toning. It's not worth sending in for a grade. The half dollar appears to have a lamination on the reverse which is quite unusual. As such it's a mint error that should bring a premium from the right buyer, although I'm not that buyer.

The nickel is the best coin in the group. I'm no expert, but I'd say that it has full steps. According the Whitman Red Book on the subject, the 1958-D nickel with full steps is a 1 out of 30 shot. It is called "rare" but "among the more available of the era." I'd say that it grades MS-65 with a shot at MS-66.

Thank you for all of your comments, I really appreciate it.

As for the Franklin, I have never seen a die error like this personally. I will attach a photo and a link to a large photo.

1958-Franklin-12112010-rev3-sml.jpg

Large Franklin Reverse Close Up

As for the Washington, there are only two nicks on the upper cheek... they are actually soft dents rather than "dings" or the usual bag marks. At first, from afar, I thought there were nicks were it is just toning. Those are just toning streaks on the neck etc. The reverse is almost nick free except for a couple very minor hits that only are seen under magnification. Upon review... the DDR is noticeable under magnification, especially on the D and O.. Geesh, I had not even seen it yet!

Photos of the reverse:

Large Washington Reverse

Another Large Washington Reverse

Coinsman63, that is definitely not a clash. It appears to be a lamination before the strike. It is definitely cool, but the premium attached to these is generally small.

I said maybe. Not definitely, as the picture was not large enough to see it clearly.