• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What a big disappointment! Pcgs can't grade FS Jefferson nickels!

45 posts in this topic

I agree, Leo---but I am not interested in ANY of these coins @ the present bid amounts. Could barely afford one of them let alone all of them. Besides, I omly go for raw Jeffs. Would only buy slabbed if I could NEVER find one raw. But I can afford to wait.

P.S. Any idea what a 1968-D MS66/67FS would go for?

I can't tell you much about the obverse of the 1946 or reverse of the 1957 as the bigger pics don't come up on my screen. The reverse strike of the 1946 is weak on the Monticello as it's difficult to see the details of the center windows and pillars.The outer steps on the very sides of the building are not there as well. Coin grades MS64.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Click to view supersized image

Smart Services for Smart Sellers

Reliable image hosting provided by Vendio. Unlimited images for $12.95.

Leo

I agree, Leo---but I am not interested in ANY of these coins @ the present bid amounts. Could barely afford one of them let alone all of them. Besides, I omly go for raw Jeffs. Would only buy slabbed if I could NEVER find one raw. But I can afford to wait.

P.S. Any idea what a 1968-D MS66/67FS would go for?

I couldn't tell you since the magic bean market (lol) for FS Jeffersons is all screwed up due to the registry hype. We have people buying up pcgs registry points with sucker money as demonstrated in the heritage auction. Judgeing from the poor quality of most of the coins, they're certainly not buying the coins. foreheadslap.gif

The 1968-D MS66/67FS is out there, it's just a matter of time. What's it worth? It's hard to say!

It's too early to tell. The coin is only 36 years old! 27_laughing.gif It depends on how many surface over the next 20-30 years before having a reasonable estimate. If one became available today, I'd pay a grand or two for it, and in 20 to 30 years, it would most likely still be worth that. A couple of years ago, I was able to locate a MS66 to 67 1969-D. It was very prooflike with an extra thick planchet. It had 3 complete steps plus 50 to 70% of the 4th, 5th and 6th steps. I actually sold that coin for $60 knowing others like it will eventually surface as that one did.

Leo

I'd pay a grand or two for it, and in 20 to 30 years, it would most likely still be worth that.

Leo, I opened a thread about the value of one on the other side of the street. There is a common theme running there that it would be considerably more valuable then $1000, even if the grade was 64/65.

As it would be the first and only one to date with FS desig (if slabbed), I am quite possitive you have under-valued it by at least 10 fold! And I firmly believe that as rare as one would be, there has been EXTENSIVE searching done thru mint sets for the little devil. If there were to be one (or more) out there, it would have to be raw and in someones collection(s). They may not even know its value! Happened before. Found a 58-D MS67+FS in an album I bought for $250. This coin is worth over $2000.!

David

I'd pay a grand or two for it, and in 20 to 30 years, it would most likely still be worth that.
Leo, I opened a thread about the value of one on the other side of the street. There is a common theme running there that it would be considerably more valuable then $1000, even if the grade was 64/65.As it would be the first and only one to date with FS desig (if slabbed), I am quite possitive you have under-valued it by at least 10 fold! And I firmly believe that as rare as one would be, there has been EXTENSIVE searching done thru mint sets for the little devil. If there were to be one (or more) out there, it would have to be raw and in someones collection(s). They may not even know its value! Happened before. Found a 58-D MS67+FS in an album I bought for $250. This coin is worth over $2000.!David
David, My estimate is based on when the baby boomers (people born between 1946 and 1964) begin to retire or die out, thereby giving up their lute, holdings or estates. A baby boomer is at an age anywhere from 39 to 58 years old. A large percent of the population is made up by the boomers and that spells out a huge amount of US mint sets, rolls and bags bought by these very same people over the years that have yet to be opened. Millions of sets, rolls and bags minted throughout the 1960's await to be searched! Just like your great 58-D find, how many other Jefferson nickel collections are out there waiting to be rediscovered again by the very same person that assembled them.You've guess it, a baby boomer! It's happening right now as we converse. Many bags have sold on ebay. Two bags recently sold on ebay, 1960-D and a 1962, I think. I've bought a a couple myself. See attachment. Any pics of the 58-D? Here's mine, a MS65 6 stepper.

Image Hosting by Vendio

Leo

430695-69dBag.jpg.79ddc1fb74f3ddbd38710728510fd62d.jpg

David - I have a hard time believing the prices of those Jeffs. WAY out of my league! Besides, I can think of a great MANY coins I'd rather spend my money on. I can also think that a gem 66/67 set of Jeffs without full steps would be damn nice and come in at less than what that 54-S will sell for.

Leo - Great looking coins!

Hoot

Any pics of the 58-D?

Leo, see my thread titled "Long lost "brother" found!" in the US Coin forum. I put up pics of it AND the one they are selling at Heritage. My valuation is based on the present auction bid for theirs as mine is at least as good as theirs, maybe a point better.

Also hate to say it, but I am one of those "baby boomers" @ 54. I believe what you are saying about coins in their possession for whatever reason, but I don't see the possibility of more 68-D FS Jeffs changing the fact that if I have the first one to ever be graded, that it would be worth many thousands. Just imagine all the Jeff FS registry sets out there that don't have one. These people would give their left you-know-what to have it at just about any price! (Not that I would sell it)!

David

Here's the 1948 pcgs ms66fs. I just wouldn't grade it higher than or want it at MS64.Can you see yourself checking this thing out with a loupe! 27_laughing.gif

Image Hosting by Vendio

Image Hosting by Vendio

Leo

My estimate is based on when the baby boomers (people born between 1946 and 1964) begin to retire or die out, thereby giving up their lute, holdings or estates. A baby boomer is at an age anywhere from 39 to 58 years old. A large percent of the population is made up by the boomers and that spells out a huge amount of US mint sets, rolls and bags bought by these very same people over the years that have yet to be opened. Millions of sets, rolls and bags minted throughout the 1960's await to be searched!

Just like your great 58-D find, how many other Jefferson nickel collections are out there waiting to be rediscovered again by the very same person that assembled them.

You've guess it, a baby boomer! It's happening right now as we converse. Many bags have sold on ebay. Two bags recently sold on ebay, 1960-D and a 1962, I think. I've bought a a couple myself. See attachment. Any pics of the 58-D? Here's mine, a MS65 6 stepper.

In 1968 I was extremely interested in circulation issue coinage. I didn't collect it because the clads were debased junk to my mind and the others were hopelessly common. Diligent searches of the coinage would not turn up choice examples much less gem. The fed was busily separating silver out of the coinage and people were far more interested in silver certificates than in any post 1964 coinage. There were almost no people saving clads and the cents and nickels were being saved only in sufficient numbers to assure they'd never be rare. High grade coins of any type or description recieved very little attention and generally it was directed at 19th century proofs or much more important coinage than the junk which was being shoveled into circulation. I never met or heard of anyone who cared in the least what the coins looked like that he set aside. People went to the bank for a roll of the current coin when they could be found and stuffed it on a shelf. Over the years these rolls and bags have faired very poorly. There was never more than a nominal value and a virtually non-existent market. Anyone who was actually active in the market would immediately spend a bag of these if they came into his possession. He might check them for gems or varieties first but there was simply no reason to save many rolls of coins that could not be sold and would never have much value. The same was true of the only other viable source for these coins. Mint sets sold for less than face value and there really isn't such a thing as a six stepper in them anyway. In the thousands of sets I've seen there has been NOTHING even close.

The few people who have been active in these markets have no doubt submitted the lions' share of the high grade coins and these are likely to be just about it for them except whatever is being held back for better prices. There will be no hordes of these coins in high grade. Indeed there may be few real hordes in low grade. Not that MS-60's are scarce or rare simply because sufficient numbers were held back that it's a certainty many of them are still sitting in people's closets. These coins will not have gems or full steppers in them. The mint sets are virtually used up by many years of neglect and chopping to assemble denominational sets and there are no FS coins in these anyway.

Certainly there are going to be increases in pops as the years go by and it's hardly impossible that a few new pop tops or FS's might appear from collections and the like, and there will be substantial increases in the pops of the undergrades if the prices get high enough to warrant grading the coins. Don't look for a lot of great gems to come out of collections either. This applies especially to the clads but there were extraordinarily few nickel collectors too. It has been only in recent years that assembling a high grade set of anything was easy no matter how much money one had available. Without grading services to identify he coins and the net to locate them it was incredibly difficult to assemble such sets.

It was primarily this which drove me to the clads. I had had interest in them since '72 when it became apparent that they were being overlooked and the fed was starting to rotate their stock of circulating coinage but was not too much interested in the finest examples. It was later when I tried one older series after another in high grade and found them impossible that I turned to looking for high grade clads. They were even less available than some of the others but there was almost no competition. This extended across the board to a large degree. In order the competition was for Ikes, halfs, cents, nickels and finally dimes and quarters.

It was rare to see any evidence that even the Ikes had been choiced before 1980 and the other coins were almost always original. Even today a large percentage of the mint sets on the market are original for all of the non-Ike issues.

No. What you see is what you get. You will never see large increases in the circulation issue pop tops.

Excellent thread with lots of good information here!

Irregardless of grading service inconsistencies and opinions of what may or may not prove to be moon money being paid for some of these coins, I am glad to see the rising interest in this series. This year, with the two new designs can only help that cause!

Ken