• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bus tokens - anyone collect them?

11 posts in this topic

At least that's what I think these are. I got a baggie of some of my late grandfather's

misc. tokens.

I might try and photo them if anyone cares, but my camera's packed for our move later

in the month. EDIT: Googled some pics of similar tokens for your enjoyment.

Most are dime-sized brass with a cutout section in the middle stamped "D" and say

"Good for one fare" on one side and either "Duke Power Company" or "Durham Public

Service Co." on the other.

token_john.jpg

durhamtoken.jpg

There's also a Lincoln City Lines Inc. / Good for one Fare token with a bus on it.

Like this one, but Lincoln City:

140.jpg

One is marked, "One Dist. of Col. Fare / D. of C. Capital Transit.

One has a cutout 'V' in the center and says A.B. & W. Transit Company / Fare Change

Token.

CPC_1251.jpg

And there are a couple aluminum tokens with a circle and bar cut out, which read:

Record and Detach, HURD, with a serial number going across the bar.

Here's one of the tokens with the key they apparently came with. Come to think of it,

Grandmother might have that key lying around somewhere...

il_fullxfull.64964664.jpg

Anyone know anything about them?

I don't collect them but I know some people do. There is even a specialty organization for them. I believe the name is The American Vecturist Association. The standard reference is the The Atwood-Coffee Catalogue of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens. I don't know if there are any specialized forums that would be able to tell you more about them. (did some searching and couldn't find one, but if you check some of th online coin forums you may find one with a sub-forum dedicated to tokens. Here are a couple links that might get you more information

Organization website

http://www.vecturist.com/

They are on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Vecturist-Association/124134710964988

I have a few transportation tokens in my collection. With all of the varieties and sub-varieties, it can be quite a challenge to complete a set.

Although it may seem odd that a power company would run a bus line, you must remember that many bus lines started as electric trolleys. Jackson, MS, for example, switched to buses in 1935, but Mississippi Power and Light Co. continued to operate them until 1939.

107119.jpg.26e73aa2fe16906d711c0519b4f04a9c.jpg

I gave away a package of these in a contest right HERE I hope there were some small treasures mixed in there because I do not collect them, but they were kinda cool to see where they all came from.

There are thousands of collectors of BUS TOKENS, TRANSIT TOKENS, TRANSPORTATION TOKENS. They are listed in the Atwood-Coffee book, a massive book listing every known variety, with a price guide.

I sell lots of 100 different transit tokens, and offer the

Catalog of United States and Canadian Transportation Tokens, The Listing

book at a discount price.

See my web site at Transit Tokens http://www.exonumia.com/transit.htm

and be sure to see the linked page for CHEAP offers.

Rich - World Exonumia

I look for New York City-related transportation tokens. I do have a collection of NYC Subway tokens (some of the types I have used during my lifetime). I also have tokens for the Hudson Rail company--now known as PATH. I also have Triboro Bridge and Tunnel Authority tokens used to pay tolls on TBTA bridges including the Verrazano.

If anyone has NYC-related transportation tokens not listed above and wants to sell them, let me know. Just PM me and we can make arrangements. I would love to find early IRT, BMT (BRT before 1923) subway tokens (pre-1940).

Scott

My favorite transportation token was one I bought in Honolulu back in the 90's that featured a hula girl. I believe it was dated 1952, my birth year.

I haven't seen it in years and suspect my wife sold it on eBay. :whistle:

It looked something like this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/HAWAII-HAWAIIAN-VINTAGE-HULA-GIRL-TRANSIT-TOKEN-COIN-/110275256188

I gave away a package of these in a contest right HERE I hope there were some small treasures mixed in there because I do not collect them, but they were kinda cool to see where they all came from.

I still got them WJ. They are very interesting. I still enjoy looking at them from time to time. I sometimes wonder who held them and where they were traveling to and from.

MM