• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1926 Oregon Commemorative

7 posts in this topic

A recent purchase... a 1926 Oregon Trail Commem. This coin has decent luster, a original golden tone, is amazingly nick free and looks great in hand... but perhaps that is due to it being my first early commemorative.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

1926 Oregon Trail Half Dollar obv sml.jpg

1926 Oregon Trail Half Dollar rev sml.jpg

Large Images:

http://spiritcraft.us/coins/1926-Oregon-Trail-Half-Dollar-rev.jpg

http://spiritcraft.us/coins/1926-Oregon-Trail-Half-Dollar-obv.jpg

Perhaps it's just the images, but the luster looks muted. And the spots (particularly the one at the upper left reverse) are large distractions/a problem.

Those coins are quite common, and I am guessing that you could have obtained a much better one at not much of a premium over whatever you paid for that one.

The two big sposts below "In God We Trust" are distracting. NCS might be able to lift them, but there goes the originality. I'd say the coin is either an AU-58 or an MS-60.

In my view it's better to buy these commemorative half dollars in certification holders. It won't cost you much more money, and they are easier to sell when the time comes. You also might end up with better coins although you can't put full faith in the grade on the holder. You need to review it for yourself.

This Oregon is in an MS-64 hoder. The Gray Sheet bid for the type is $170 or so. In EF, the bid is $110 so it really makes sense to step up if you can.

OregonO.jpg

OregonR.jpg

One of my absolute favorite classic commemoratives. I would call it AU58.

Here's one certified by ANACS as MS62 for comparision.

The photos turned out pretty well, a wee bit too bright perhaps but I am experimenting with lighting.

1926S_Oregon_ANACS-2.jpg

1926S_Oregon_ANACS-1.jpg

1926S_Oregon_ANACS-3.jpg

Sadly, it's on eBay to pay for my new roof. :frown:

never seen these before, i want one now!!! what do they typically cost?

$100 for a one with a rub to $200 for one that is quite nice, but not perfect. I would buy one in an NGC or PCGS holder. Many U.S. coin collectors consider this coin to be the most beautiful U.S. commemorative design in the entire series.

James Fraser and his wife, Laura, designed this piece. James Fraser also designed the Buffalo Nickel. Laura Frazer was not just along for the ride. She was a great artist too. She designed several other U.S. commemorative coins and should have be able to design the Washington Quarter, the politics were not on her side.