• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about NCS

10 posts in this topic

hard to tell from the photos?

missing clad layer?

even foreign substance on the coin?? corrosion?

some sort of plating experiment??

from what i can see from the photos i dont think it is worth sending to ncs but i am not sure without in hand examination

With it only being 5.0 grams I am thinking that yes missing clad layer but this had other things going on with it also. Sorry for the picture, it is a scan both my cameras (not that I can ever take a good photo) are loaned out ATM

It looks like a as-struck split-planchet error to me. I doubt NCS could do anything to address the corrosion issues, however. The error looks genuine, and were this a problem-free coin, value might justify the cost of certification. But as-is, it seems more like a coin you'd throw on eBay.

I've seen missing clad layers on the state quarters go for high money but I don't think the eagle back quarters go for anywhere near as much. I would also expect it to be even lower due to the discoloration/corrosion. I'm not sure it would be worth th money to pay for conservation and grading. I'm afraid it might cost a significant percentage of the value of the coin. If you have a hundred dollar coin and you spend $45 for shipping and insurance, conservation, grading, and then shipping and insurance back, you still have a hundred dollar coin afterward.