• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MEGA points ASE posted by TPETERS

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I left and came home with 5000 more points than I had!

Hello All,

Again WOW!! Just got home and checked the site and my score was 5005 points higher than when I left!

Went from 206th to 203rd and didn't even do anything! I see that NGC re-evaluated the points for PF ASE's! You now get 2388 for a 1987S PF70 ASE! I am glad I have one!!!

Did this catch anyone else off guard? Again WOW!

Have a great nite,

Todd

See more journals by TPETERS

Its this kind of bull**** that makes me mad about the registry sometimes. High grade modern BULLION receives outlandish amounts of points, but my incredibly scarce FBL Franklin recieves a fraction of that. 2388 for a coin with 357 graded? And my 52S with just 17 graded in 65FBL only gets 1600? Come on, there is something wrong here!

Agree with both posters.

Just because certain moderns are getting more collector interest doesn't mean these coins deserve higher points. Statehood Quarters, Westward Journey nickels, new design pennies, Presidential Dollars - just count the THOUSANDS of OBW listings on EBay right now, these coins will be sitting in folks' attics for centuries while their owners hope to get more than face value.

But some modern bullion and commemoratives ARE scarce. Not scarce in terms of population, but scarce in terms of supply and demand. It's easy to find ASEs from recent years, but some older issues don't come up for sale much.

As with ALL coins, when collectors die and their hoards go into estate, that supply/demand picture gets whacked. Look at wheat cents. Two decades ago, they were fairly scarce, I remember thinking that 5c/coin was a solid deal. Now that rolls and bags are turning up in dead people's attics, 3c/coin is normal ... which is just about the price of copper bullion, by the by ...

So just wait thirty more years. Silver might be $300/oz. by then, but premiums on 1987 ASEs will likely diminish.