• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cardboard Coin Holders, Storage and PVC

9 posts in this topic

I tried this under the "Coin Conservation" sub-thread and got no replies or answers so am going to give this a "shot" (no pun intended). Since I wrote the verbage below, I have gone ahead and placed about 60 silver dollars in the new "cardboard" flips which I purchased, supposedly as "Mylar" for the plastic part. I would really like to hear how others view these coin holders, results they have experienced, and length of time stored in these flips without incidience.

OK - I just purchased 100 2.5x2.5 inch cardboard coin flips. They were advertised as "cardboard/Mylar". The plastic is soft, I can bend it and it will not break. Short of having forensic testing done on these, would you risk storing your Morgans (mostly MS - some XF-AU) in these? I have purchased silver dollars from members of these forums and they arrived in the same holder type I just purchased. Do you use them for the long term or are these just holders you use for the short term? I reaIize using Saflips would be the best way to go and probably over the long run the safest bet. I, and I am sure others, would appreciate your thoughts, past experiences, and knowledge related to these "soft" coin holders. Oh, one more question - it was stated in another post on this thread that if there is "green" residue on a coin, it is verdigris. What does PVC on a coin surface (what color) actually look like? Thanks

I've had about 60 Morgans in those flips for the past 10 years, and they look the same as when I put them in the flips. Mylar doesn't contain any PVC so I think your coins should be fine.

PVC damage appears as greenish, milky, or grey streaks or haze. In severe cases, it looks like tiny green blobs on the surface of the coin. PVC residue has a distinctive smell, sort of like the smell you get when you open a cheap plastic toy. In mild cases of PVC contamination, you might not be able to detect the smell.

"What is PVC Damage on Coins?" Headley, Susan

(http://coins.about.com/od/caringforcoins/f/pvc_damage_faq.htm}

The cardboard 2x2 holders with mylar lined windows are free of PVC. Longterm storage is fine and the only issue you have to worry about is if you have a staple that rusts. PVC contamination is typically a green or grey film or spotting that can feel slick, look powdery or appear as oily spots.

If you use the 2X2 cardboard coin holders, be sure to clean the mylar windows of the cardboard dust from the manufacturing process since it can cause spots on your coins (especially on copper). Compressed air or wiping the window with a clean cotton cloth works well.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Verdigris is actual corrosion in which the metal forms new compounds. PVC deposits simply lie on the surface of a coin and usually can be removed without any evidence of their having been there. If left in place too long, however, PVC deposits will eventually react with atmospheric moisture to form acid and corrode the coin.

So, in a nutshell, they are not the same things.

No. Verdigris is damage that occurs with copper. It typically collects in clumps and can be bright green with whitish blotches. The brighter the color the more active it is. It can be very damaging to the surface of the coin.

Inactive verdigris is darker in color and difficult to remove. In most cases it is best to just leave it alone.

If you must attack it you can try "verdigone". I think it works pretty well but I have only experimented on coins that are not very valuable.

Verdigris can happen to non-copper coins because copper is alloyed in gold or silver coins.

PVC, as others have said, is usually a green/gray film and can cause spotting. Damage can happen to all coins exposed to PVC for a long period of time. For ages flips were made from PVC and, sadly, they are still used today and even sold new. Short term storage isn't a problem.

If you don't know whether a flip is PVC or mylar try bending it. PVC flips are very elastic. Non-PVC flips are stiff and make crinkly sounds.

The treatment for PVC is an acetone dip. It is a very safe treatment for most coins. Some folks have reported copper coins changing color somewhat (a little pinkish hue). The dip can be for seconds or even hours or days, depending on the extent of the build-up.

Lance.