• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Riddle me this...

22 posts in this topic

Nysoto,

No, but I like your answer and can see why you gave it. But, I think you'll like my answer better. It's more of a riddle than a mere numismatic trivia question...

Think of all those riddle from the Riddler to Batman...

smile.gif

EVP

Okay, now I'm likely to go WAY off track! I would now say Jefferson. He is the designer of Monticello. The fullness of Jefferson's portrait on the nickel has a lot to do with the reverse design.

Okay, now I quit. crazy.gif

Hoot

Okay, I thought of Felix Schlag and the FS connection, but I thought that was even farther off the track than my last answer! I'm simply no good at this stuff! laugh.gif

Good riddle EVP!

Hoot

EVP,

I offer the following possibilities (in denominational order, of course), though I have little confidence that any of them are correct:

1) Ms. Liberty of the "apple cheek" variety for the Liberty Cap cent - she sure has something in her mouth/cheek and should be full, whether she actually is or not. smile.gif

2) Ms. Liberty's head (or breast) on a Standing Liberty quarter?

3) Governor Bradford on the Pilgrim commem? - maybe he's not full but the Pilgrims would have been after their Thanksgiving feasts.

Just a guess, but the designer's initials of the Jefferson nickel is Felix Schlag, hence the "FS" on Jefferson's shoulder. At the same time, a complete, full strike is called a "full step" or FS nickel.

So it's possible to have a FS nickel designed by FS. "I am the fullness of my design". That's what I think the solution to the riddle is.