• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTB: Rainbow toned gold

10 posts in this topic

Does anybody have a Rainbow toned gold coin in a top 2 TPG slab? Id like to purchase it

I only want one so first come first serve.

Does rainbow toned gold exist? I have never seen such a thing... I thought gold was exceptionally stable, making toning difficult. Even if toning had developed, would it have enough variation to be considered "rainbow" tone?

Does anybody have a Rainbow toned gold coin in a top 2 TPG slab? Id like to purchase it

I only want one so first come first serve.

Does rainbow toned gold exist? I have never seen such a thing... I thought gold was exceptionally stable, making toning difficult. Even if toning had developed, would it have enough variation to be considered "rainbow" tone?

yes

Paul (Lehigh) Has one and so do a couple other folks on here. I am hoping somebody wants to sell one.

Rainbow toned gold is exceptionally scarce, exceptionally valuable, and being held in very strong hands. The chances that you will be able to buy any, and especially direct on the marketplace here rather than at auction, are exceptionally slim.

Rainbow toned gold is exceptionally scarce, exceptionally valuable, and being held in very strong hands. The chances that you will be able to buy any, and especially direct on the marketplace here rather than at auction, are exceptionally slim.

I know they're rare that why I am trying to find one.lol

Could someone post a picture of a natural rainbow toned gold coin? I'd love to see one.

I have only ever seen two rainbow toned gold coins. The first was a Saint that Anaconda had for sale and I let slip through my fingers. The second is the one I was able to pickup off of E-Bay for a modest premium. Here are the photos.

Anaconda Saint

AnacondaSaint.jpg

My Saint

StGaudensDoubleEagle1924NGCMS63S-2.jpg

There are a number of collectors/dealers of gold coins who vehemently deny that this type of toning is natural and will not touch it with a ten foot pole. The other camp believes that the toning is made possible by improper mixing of the gold alloy and that the copper in the alloy is responsible for the toning. I have absolutely no idea which group is right and IMO, the originality of this type of toning may never be discovered.

Sorry Dimefreak, Not For Sale!

Could someone post a picture of a natural rainbow toned gold coin? I'd love to see one.

I have only ever seen two rainbow toned gold coins. The first was a Saint that Anaconda had for sale and I let slip through my fingers. The second is the one I was able to pickup off of E-Bay for a modest premium. Here are the photos.

Anaconda Saint

AnacondaSaint.jpg

My Saint

StGaudensDoubleEagle1924NGCMS63S-2.jpg

There are a number of collectors/dealers of gold coins who vehemently deny that this type of toning is natural and will not touch it with a ten foot pole. The other camp believes that the toning is made possible by improper mixing of the gold alloy and that the copper in the alloy is responsible for the toning. I have absolutely no idea which group is right and IMO, the originality of this type of toning may never be discovered.

Sorry Dimefreak, Not For Sale!

I have seen yours before and its why I have wanted to grab one. I have never seen the Anaconda coin, wow! That thing is gorgeous!

I am in the NT camp as the rainbow toning forms for the same reason as you see red copper spots on gold.....gold is not 100% pure so there is always a chance that some of the alloys mixed with gold could have a greater concentration and the surface and thus be reactive to toning agents.