• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reeded edge Buffalo Nickel ?

15 posts in this topic

I vaguely remember a dealer reeding the edges of nickels and passing them off as purely novelty items...but I thought for sure they were already worn from circulation.

Note: Remind Arch to attach "Wide Load" to the rear of this thread.

They are collected and there is a market for them just because of their association with Ira Reed, but personally, I wouldn't pay more than a couple of dollars for one. It's really just post-mint damage.

Many original "Racketeer Nickels" (1883 No Cents Liberty nickels gold plated to pass off as $5 gold coins to unsuspecting merchants) have reeded edges with some gold plating remaining.

When Reed sold them they were packaged together (cent and five cent) as a set. Since it would be vary easy to fake the reeded edge I would not consider them to have any value if they were not in the original holder and had some documentation with them. This piece isn't and has no documentation. It's just a damaged coin.

According to David W Lange, Ira Reed had 104 sets of 1937 cents and nickels reeded at a machine shop for the 1941 convention of the ANA in Philadelphia. The sets were either given to friends or sold at 4-5 dollars a set.

So unless it has the cent with it and they are in the original packaging, I woudn't give you 5 cents for this thing!!